Laetitia
Hi everybody,
I want to implement a system with categories and subcategories and subsub and subsubsub… lol.
ie: the category A has 2 subcategories: B and C and C have a sub-category D.
The deep of the nesting is not rigid and may grow.
How would you model this, allowing easy search in db? Search ancestor and children? Is there a way to avoid recursion?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
fuelen
Hello
Did you see this library GitHub - Byzanteam-Labs/hierarch: Tree structure & hierarchy for ecto models with ltree(Postgres) · GitHub?
It is based on
ltreepostgres extension. I didn’t try it, but I’d try if I have this kind of requirementsLaetitia
Thanks, seems great. I will have a look at this.
paulstatezny
I’d imagine the database table (let’s call it
categories) would have a reference to a parent category as a foreign key,parent_category_id.If
parent_category_idisNULL, it has no parent.Laetitia
The problem with this is the need of potentially multiple joins on the same table and we dont know how many joins we need. Or potentially multiples chained requests.
kokolegorille
Another way is to use a nested set model, using lft and rgt additional columns.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/computer-science/nested-set-model
al2o3cr
Postgres can do recursive common-table expressions if you really want, but it’s worth considering carefully exactly how your application will use the nested categories.
Poking around in Hex turns up some candidates:
parent_idchainsas_nested_setuses nested sets to make answering “and all subcatgories” questions fasterLaetitia
Thank you.
I think i will remodel my app allowing only two levels to apply the KISS principle
I maybe will use one of these great libraries in the future.
l00ker
I just did this for a project I’ve been working on. I ended up settling on closure_table.
The biggest challenge was building the proper data structure required by the admin front-end widget to use drag-n-drop etc.
dimitarvp
I suspect it’s paid work and thus confidential but if it accidentally is not then I’d absolutely love to see the code. Sounds like it’s extremely handy.
l00ker
It’s paid work but not confidential. If I get some free time, I’ll see if I can put together something.
As it stands, the code is still in a “first pass” state where I got things working the way I needed but had to move on due to time constraints, so at this point it’s not code I’d particularly proud of showing off. The idea was to circle back when things calmed down and have another pass at it