jeramyRR

jeramyRR

Hi all,

I’m trying to write out a string, in binary, using Elixir’s <<>> syntax, and am having a dumb moment. I have a requirement where if a template name string isn’t 16 characters long then the remaining bytes must be padded with zeros.

Here is the header I’m trying to write:

┌──────────────────┬───────────┬────────────────┬──────────────────┬───────────┬───────────┐
│       TAG        │ Label Len │ Content Length │   Template Name  │  Contents │ Signature │
├──────────────────┼───────────┼────────────────┼──────────────────┼───────────┼───────────┤
│4x Unsigned Chars │    u16    │      u64       │  16byte char str │           │           │
└──────────────────┴───────────┴────────────────┴──────────────────┴───────────┴───────────┘

What I have so far is:

label_bin =
      <<"TAG1", label_metadata.label_len::16, label_metadata.content_length::64>>

I’m not sure how to write the Template name in the same way as above. Do I need to create another IO structure and just append the 0’s?

Thanks,
Jeramy

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Sebb

Sebb

template_name = "foo"
pad = 16 - byte_size(template_name)
<<template_name::binary, 0::pad*8>>

Edit: Note that this may crash: How to pad a binary with 0's? - #6 by al2o3cr

jeramyRR

jeramyRR OP

Awesome, that worked like a charm! Would you mind pointing me to some documentation on this? A quick search isn’t finding anything

Sebb

Sebb

here: Kernel.SpecialForms — Elixir v1.12.3

also useful: binary — OTP 29.0.2 (stdlib 8.0.1)
(but there is nothing there that helps you with this, would be nice).

Don’t use String for this.

jeramyRR

jeramyRR OP

Oh, turns out to be a huge fail on my part. It didn’t occur to me to just write 0s over the amount of bytes left like your example above.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

The given solution will crash if template_name is longer than 16 characters; this may be fine, depending on where the name is coming from etc.

If crashing isn’t acceptable, than the string will need to be truncated. You can do both the padding and the truncating together with a little pattern matching:

<<padded_and_trimmed::bits-size(128), _::bits>> = <<template_name::binary, 0::128>>

This works by initially padding template_name with 16 bytes of zeros, then taking only the first 16 bytes of the remainder.

The truncation can also be done as part of a larger step, like your label_bin:

padded_name = <<template_name::binary, 0::128>>
label_bin =
      <<"TAG1", label_metadata.label_len::16, label_metadata.content_length::64, padded_name::bits-size(128), ...>>
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews