marcin
Hi!
I’d like to parse a CSV rows into typed elements, without knowing what is the schema (column order) of the CSV.
In ruby the CSV library will parse strings into types. In Elixir, both csv and nimble_csv libraries produce string values, and the caller is responsible for casting them into other types (integer, decimal, date-times).
For integer and decimal columns, I can detect if they contain just numbers and decimal point – with regexp or maybe binary matching?
For dates I have no idea how to proceed. I’m aware that date time format is not specified by rfc4180 – files I am parsing have dates in format: “2016-12-01 10:36:29.772554”.
What would you recommend? I am surprised this seemingly simple problem doesn’t have an obvious solution!
m.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Probably because it’s only “seemingly simple”. I can remember cursing at PHP’s strtotime a few times, because parsing dates without knowing the format is hardly more then guesswork and hoping for the best. If you know the format though you should be able to use timex to parse it.
dimitarvp
Not sure if you are receiving datetimes formatted in other ways but this should sort you up as a start.
peerreynders
Am I missing something?
That date can then be “enhanced” with
DateTime.from_naive/3.dimitarvp
Nope, you aren’t missing anything. I simply prefer being explicit – plus I can never remember what passes for which standard.
peerreynders
I guess if you already need
Timexfor something else.I’d be willing to massage the string a bit to be able to use the standard functionality and ditch a dependency - and ISO8601 has pretty good coverage (am/pm could be a bit awkward).