henrique-marcomini-m

henrique-marcomini-m

I have the following code:


defp has_char_in_string?(value), do: Regex.match?(~r/[^\d]/, value)

def somefun(arg) do
  
  case has_char_in_string?(arg) do
    true -> foo()
    false -> bar()
  end

end

And I really want to keep this regex within this module and do not externalize this logic. But I also want to use pattern matching or guards instead of a case. Is this even possible? And if it is, how?

Thanks in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

No, there is no way to make this regex or even something semantically equivalent into a guardsave predicate.

peerreynders

peerreynders

Probably not what you are looking for:

def somefun(true),
  do: foo()

def somefun(false),
  do: bar()

def somefun(arg) when is_binary(arg),
  do: Regex.match?(~r/[^\d]/, arg)
      |> somefun()

or

defp p_somefun(true),
  do: foo()

defp p_somefun(false),
  do: bar()

def somefun(arg) when is_binary(arg) do
  Regex.match?(~r/[^\d]/, arg)
  |> p_somefun()
end
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

It’s possible, especially if the regular expression is simple - you can translate the regex into its corresponding finite state machine and represent that with pattern matching:

defmodule RegexRecursion do
  def somefun(arg) do
    call_bar(arg)
  end

  defp call_bar("0" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)
  defp call_bar("1" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)
  defp call_bar("2" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)
  defp call_bar("3" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)
  defp call_bar("4" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)
  defp call_bar("5" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)
  defp call_bar("6" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)
  defp call_bar("7" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)
  defp call_bar("8" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)
  defp call_bar("9" <> rest), do: call_bar(rest)

  defp call_bar(""), do: bar()
  defp call_bar(x) when is_binary(x), do: foo()

  defp foo(), do: IO.puts("foo")
  defp bar(), do: IO.puts("bar")
end

Here, the regex [^\d] translates to a state machine that stays in call_bar as long as each character is 0-9, actually calls bar given an empty string, and calls foo otherwise.

If the regex doesn’t involve backreferences or lookaheads (so it’s a theory-of-languages regular expression), it’s always possible to do this.

HOWEVER

The example above is a good example of how this approach obfuscates what should have been code like this:

defmodule RegexRecursionSimple do
  def somefun(arg) when is_binary(arg) do
    if Regex.match?(~r/[^\d]/, arg) do
      foo()
    else
      bar()
    end
  end

  defp foo(), do: IO.puts("foo")
  defp bar(), do: IO.puts("bar")
end

I’m very curious what’s motivating the preference for pattern matching here; it’s not the right tool for the job.

hauleth

hauleth

TBH I would say that Regex is overkill there. And your pattern match can be improved:

def somefun(<<num>> <> rest) when num in ?0..?9, do: call_bar(rest)
def somefun(""), do: bar()
def somefun(bin) when is_binary(bin), do: foo()

The problem with regular expressions the use backtracking engine (and PCRE is such engine) is that it can explode to O(n^2) with some expressions (namely nested wildcard matches). And such cases have been spotted on the wild with pretty simple expressions.

henrique-marcomini-m

henrique-marcomini-m OP

Well I think there is no pretty solution here. Though Hauleth presented something that would work ,I now see that the best way is through a well crafted regex. Thank you all for the answers.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I have a package called ex_cldr_unicode that includes guards for

These all operate on the Unicode character classes so it covers what passes for a digit in a more complete sense. It might help or give you some ideas.

Note that it works on code points since there is a limited set of underlying functions that can be used in guards.

There is another bunch of functions that might be helpful, including Cldr.Unicode.alphanumeric?/1 which will return a boolean and also uses the full Unicode definitions (not just Latin1):

iex> Cldr.Unicode.alphanumeric? "1st"
true

iex> Cldr.Unicode.alphanumeric? "KeyserSöze1995"
true

iex> Cldr.Unicode.alphanumeric? "3段"                 
true
mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

The above might be written as:

defmodule RegexRecursion do
  Enum.each(?0..?9, fn char ->
    defp call_bar(<<unquote(char), rest :: binary>>), do: call_bar(rest)
  end)
end
dkuku

dkuku


is there a way to use guard clauses from erlang ??
I just found this in erlang masterclass course from kent university and I’m trying to solve the problems in elixir - looks similiar as op

peerreynders

peerreynders

https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/guards.html

e.g.

def parse([ch|rest]) when ?a =< ch and ch =< ?z do
  {succeeds, remainder} = get_while(&is_alpha/1, rest)
  {{:var, List.to_atom([ch|succeeds])}, remainder}
end
dkuku

dkuku

thanks @peerreynders - I found a workaround which probably also can be used:
(I’m using double quoted strings for that)

defmodule Guards do
  defguard is_lower(ch) when ch in ~w(q w e r t y u i o p a s d f g h j k l z x c v b n m)
  defguard is_digit(ch) when ch in ~w(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0)
end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews