PeterDavidCarter

PeterDavidCarter

Could anyone give me a simple example of how to persist data in Elixir. Coming from a JavaScript background I’m still not fully understanding the functional paradigm.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

and where you want to persit the data? You have a few options:

  1. Relational database. Most obvious / popular choice is to use Ecto GitHub - elixir-ecto/ecto: A toolkit for data mapping and language integrated query. · GitHub
  2. Serialize to binary blob with :erlang.term_to_binary/1 and save to file
  3. Use DETS dets — OTP 29.0.2 (stdlib 8.0.1)
  4. Use Mnesia (via Amnesia or directly, GitHub - meh/amnesia: Mnesia wrapper for Elixir. · GitHub)
    …
    …
  5. There are many many many more options.
stefanjarina

stefanjarina

There are 2 different meanings to this:

First is to really persist the data even when the application restarts

Second is to keep data only in running application [keep a state] (like an object instance in OO languages)

The above state won’t survive the application crashes/restarts though, so you usually use the mix of GenServer/Agent and Database/Amnesia/DETS, etc.

This is a great article that talks about the different states , it is for Erlang, but it explains theory well.

Cheers mate

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews