thojanssens1

thojanssens1

I have a login page which allows to authenticate an admin.
If there are no users at all in the database (first time the app runs), I will create the superuser based on the login data entered (email/password).

My login form looks like this:

<h1>Login</h1>

<%= form_for @conn,
             Routes.admin_session_path(@conn, :create),
             [as: :session],
             fn f -> %>
  <div>
    <%= text_input f, :email, placeholder: "Email" %>
    <%= error_tag f, :email %>
  </div>

  <div>
    <%= password_input f, :password, placeholder: "Password" %>
    <%= error_tag f, :password %>
  </div>

  <%= submit "Log in" %>
<% end %>

And my controller actions:

def new(conn, _params) do
  render(conn, "new.html")
end

def create(conn, %{"session" => %{"email" => email, "password" => pass}}) do
  case Accounts.authenticate_by_email_and_pass(email, pass) do
    {:ok, %{"active" => true} = user} ->
      conn
      |> MyAppWeb.Authentication.login(user)
      |> put_flash(:info, "Welcome back!")
      |> redirect(to: Routes.admin_question_path(conn, :index))

    {:ok, %{"active" => false}} ->
      conn
      |> put_flash(:error, "Account is disabled")
      |> render("new.html")

    {:error, _reason} ->
      case Accounts.count_users() do
        0 ->
          case Accounts.register_user(%{"name" => "Superuser", "email" => email, "password" => pass, "type" => "admin"}) do
            {:ok, user} ->
              conn
              |> put_flash(:info, "#{user.name} created!")
              |> redirect(to: Routes.admin_session_path(conn, :new))

            {:error, %Ecto.Changeset{} = changeset} ->
              conn
              |> put_flash(:error, changeset.errors)
              |> render("new.html")
          end
        _ ->
          conn
          |> put_flash(:error, "Invalid username/password combination")
          |> render("new.html")
      end
  end
end

Of course as expected I have a problem on this line:
put_flash(:error, changeset.errors)

But as the login form is not displayed based on a changeset (but rather uses the connection: form_for @conn), how do I display the list of changeset errors when the superuser is being attempted to be created?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

Check out Ecto.Changeset.traverse_errors/2:

errors = Ecto.Changeset.traverse_errors(changeset, fn {msg, opts} ->
  Enum.reduce(opts, msg, fn {key, value}, acc ->
    String.replace(acc, "%{#{key}}", to_string(value))
  end)
end)

error_msg =
  errors
  |> Enum.map(fn {key, errors} -> "#{key}: #{Enum.join(errors, ", ")}")
  |> Enum.join("\n")

put_flash(conn, :error, error_msg)

Also note that ecto schema structs have atom keys, so these two clauses might not match:

case Accounts.authenticate_by_email_and_pass(email, pass) do
    {:ok, %{"active" => true} = user} -> # <----- this one
      conn
      |> MyAppWeb.Authentication.login(user)
      |> put_flash(:info, "Welcome back!")
      |> redirect(to: Routes.admin_question_path(conn, :index))

    {:ok, %{"active" => false}} -> # <---- and this one
      conn
      |> put_flash(:error, "Account is disabled")
      |> render("new.html")
thojanssens1

thojanssens1 OP

Thank you!

By the way, there are no return lines on the screen when using Enum.join("\n"), so I replaced it by Enum.join("<br>") but now I see literally <br> on the screen.

Anyway you have been tremendous help already, I can try to find the solution for that last annoyance myself; if you have some time though any explanation is welcome ofc:)

idi527

idi527

I wouldn’t put changeset errors in a flash message, I’d probably render them into a template.

thojanssens1

thojanssens1 OP

But this is a very special case, where there is a changeset (with possible errors) only when the superuser is being created, the first time the app runs. Therefore, instead of injecting a variable in the template just for that one-time case, I thought it might be a valid case to put it into flash, as I do for the other errors for this template.

By adding a variable in the template, I will have now like two error-display mechanisms, some errors will be in the flash, some errors in a template variable.

Also: the flash comes with an element already designed with html/css.

lucaong

lucaong

Regarding the issue with <br> being literally printed, take a look at raw/1 for the solution :slight_smile:

NobbZ

NobbZ

Or traverse, print and format the errors in the view, rather than the controller…

julismz

julismz

You can put it all together and replace the map + join by map_join

{:error, changeset} ->
        parsed_errors =
          Ecto.Changeset.traverse_errors(changeset, fn {msg, opts} ->
            Enum.reduce(opts, msg, fn {key, value}, acc ->
              String.replace(acc, "%{#{key}}", to_string(value))
            end)
          end)
          |> Enum.map_join("\n", fn {key, errors} -> "#{key} #{Enum.join(errors, ", ")}" end)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews