How to properly implement dynamic dispatch?

Hi everyone,

I’m struggling to understand behaviours and dynamic dispatch. The example in the getting started with elixir page doesn’t make any sense to me:

defmodule Parser do
  @callback parse(String.t) :: {:ok, term} | {:error, String.t}
  @callback extensions() :: [String.t]

def parse!(implementation, contents) do
    case implementation.parse(contents) do
      {:ok, data} -> data
      {:error, error} -> raise ArgumentError, "parsing error: #{error}"
    end
  end
end

Where does the implementation come from?

I tried using this myself when writing a module and I am doing something wrong, just not clear what. I don’t understand how to use the implementation’s functions when writing the handle_call method:

defmodule Program do
  use GenServer

@callback inputs() :: [atom]
  @callback init(term) :: any
  @callback handle_data(any, map, map) :: term
  @callback emit(term) :: map

@impl GenServer
  def init(arg) do
    ## How do I use the implementation's inputs function? there's no implementation passed in here
    __MODULE__.inputs
    |> Enum.each(fn x -> Phoenix.PubSub.subscribe :inputs, x end)

{:ok, {%{}, __MODULE__.init(arg)}}
  end

@impl true
  def handle_call(%OSC.Message{address: address, arguments: arguments}, _, {inputs, state}) do
    data = get_latest_reading(address, arguments)
    newinputs = %{inputs | address => data}
    # Same question in this area
    if map_size(newinputs) === length __MODULE__.inputs do
      newstate = __MODULE__.handle_data(state, inputs, newinputs)
      __MODULE__.emit(newstate)
      |> Enum.map(fn {k, v} -> Phoenix.PubSub.broadcast(:outputs, k, v) end)
      {:noreply, {newinputs, newstate}}
    else
      {:noreply, {newinputs, state}}
    end
  end

def get_latest_reading(address, arguments) do
    receive do
      %OSC.Message{address: ^address, arguments: args} ->
        get_latest_reading(address, args)
    after 0 -> arguments
    end
  end
end
2 Likes

Hi,

I believe there is no magic in dynamic dispatch. What might be missing in the example is how to use parse!

As I understand it you use parse the following way (assuming you have JSONParser defined):

Parser.parse!(JSONParser, "some string")

I hope that helps,

Pawel

4 Likes

Oh… I thought if there is a module JSONParser that has a line @behavior Parser then I could just call JSONParser.parse!("some string") and the dispatch would happen correctly. Isn’t that how we use GenServer and then call the using class’s start_link instead of GenServer’s start_link, right?

How do I write a function that uses the callbacks in the behavior definition then?
Eg handle_call is a GenServer function that has a specific signature. How do I access the implementation’s functions in that case? A plain inputs or handle_data doesn’t work, and I can’t expect GenServer to call handle_data with the implementation module. does __MODULE__ correspond to the currently active module? Is there something like self in python?

I think you are mixing up concepts. Behaviours is just a way to define callbacks that must be implemented, and some can be optional. use can be used in behaviours and protocols to define generic definitions of these callbacks, but nothing stops you from using use out of these situations.
As @pickme467 there is no magic in behaviours, the magic happens with use unless you read the source code you never know what’s happening behind the scenes.

You could achieve JSONParser.parse!("some string"), you would have to define it in your Parser.__using__/1 macro and call use Parser

2 Likes

Ok…

so if I have a behavior like:

defmodule X 
@callback one(any) :: integer 
@callback two(any) :: integer
end 

How do I achieve a pattern like “I want to write a function that an implementor of this behavior will get by default”? I was trying:

defmodule X 
def three(o, t) do one(o) + two(t) end
end

This is not right because behaviors don’t work like that… I have to use the using macro:

defmodule X 
defmacro __using__ do
  def three(o, t) do one(o) + two(t) end
end
end

Then I would use X instead of @behavior X so that I get the extra code that I want.
Is that correct? Is there a better way of doing this?

You are about right.
This is the real implementation.

defmodule X do

defmacro __using__(_options) do
    quote do
      @behaviour X

def three(o, t) do
        one(o) + two(t)
      end
    end
  end
end

defmodule XImpl do
  use X

@impl X
  def one(string) when is_binary(string),
    do: String.length(string)

@impl X
  def two(string) when is_binary(string),
    do: String.length(string)
end
iex(1)> XImpl.three("abcd", "x")

If you just want to use use X, you need to add @behaviour X inside your using macro

2 Likes

Additionally in X you can define @callback three(any, any) :: integer(), and inside __using__ set defoverridable: three: 2

^ What does adding that extra callback do? IIUC, it’s making three part of the contract of the behavior (so any code that relies on an X can expect a three even if the implementation doesn’t use X?

defmodule X do
  @callback three(integer, integer) :: integer

defmacro __using__(_options) do
    quote do
      @behaviour X
      defoverridable: three: 2
      def three(o, t) do
        one(o) + two(t)
      end
    end
  end
end

Is that right?

And say I want X to use a behavior as well, like GenServer. So all implementers of X should transitively use GenServer. Does that go under __using__ or in the main module definition?

so is it

defmodule X 
use GenServer
@callback ... 

defmacro __using__ do 
end
end

or

defmodule X 
@callback ... 

defmacro __using__ do quote do 
use GenServer
end 
end 
end

Yes. that’ s correct.

Regarding your second question, what I can recommend you is do not use use X to start with, see where use GenServer will go, and if it makes sense where you will have to define the callbacks. Then try to abstract things into X.__using__/1 and see what will make the best use of use X. remember use just inserts code. You can pretty much copy and paste and port the quoted parts. You will figure it out.