joshua.aug

joshua.aug

Generally how do people rate limit endpoints? Do you use a library or use your own code?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Libraries are IMO good enough f.ex. Hammer.Plug.

Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai

I guess limiting in app might be well suited when the rational is only about “functional” limiting (I mean e.g. because of a pricing tier)..

Otherwise, for performance or security reasons (like preventing DDoS or usage abuse) I wonder if it’s not an infrastructure concern outside of the “application” server?

Although I don’t have any clue which kind of software/tool is common in that area.. Maybe load balancers have this option?

PS: My comment is more a way to discover this DevOps topic and follow the discussion..

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Sure, you can do this with nginx, Caddy and Traefik and likely others (maybe fail2ban as well?) but I think that’s multi-layered security: your load balancer is more about making sure your traffic is not malicious i.e. directly bombarding you with 1_000 req/sec which should result in an almost immediate ban for the offending IP.

Whereas app-level rate limiter is more like “you are legit but don’t push it”. :smiley:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews