hscspring

hscspring

I have some data like:



---
title1
line1
line2
---
title2
line1
line2

and i want a structure of :

%{title1: [title1/line1, title1/line2], title2: [title2/line1, title2/line2}

Here is my code, but i cannot get the dict:

defmodule Index do
    @spliter "---"
    def build_custom_index(index_path) do
        {:ok, contents} = File.read(index_path)
        contents \
        |> String.split(@spliter, trim: true)
        |> Stream.map( &(String.split(&1, "\n", trim: true)) )
        |> Stream.filter( &(Enum.count(&1) > 0) )
        |> Enum.each( fn group -> 
            [head | tail] = group
            tail \
            |> Enum.each( fn line -> 
                new_line = head <> "/" <> line
            end)
        end)
    end
end

This is actually my first Elixir program, I have searched several materials but still in trouble.

I have used Python before.

Would anyone help… many thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey @hscspring welcome! The main thing to remember with Elixir is that you should always be thinking about returning values. You can never mutate data, so if you want something different than you have now, you need to construct some kind of function that will return the changed data. Here’s an example from your code:

tail \
|> Enum.each( fn line -> 
  new_line = head <> "/" <> line
end)

Here, instead of doing each and trying to create some new variable outside the function, use

new_lines = Enum.map(tail, fn line -> head <> "/" <> line end)

Which takes the tail list and returns a new list where the function has been applied to each item.

Overall you need two do two things: iterate through the groups, and maintain a dictionary. I’m going to show you two different ways to do this.

The first way will be to build a recursive function that walks through the groups “manually”:

defmodule Index do
  @spliter "---"
  
  def index_from_file(index_path) do
    {:ok, contents} = File.read(index_path)
    build_index(contents)
  end

  def build_index(contents) do
    contents
    |> String.split(@spliter, trim: true)
    |> Stream.map(&String.split(&1, "\n", trim: true))
    |> Stream.filter(&(Enum.count(&1) > 0))
    |> index_groups(%{})
  end
  
  defp index_groups([], index) do
    index
  end

  defp index_groups([group | groups], index) do
    [title | items] = group
    items = Enum.map(items, fn item -> head <> "/" <> line)
    index = Map.put(index, title, items)
    index_groups(groups, index)
  end
end

As a simple thing, note that I split the idea of reading from a file from building the index. This is a common pattern in Elixir, where you try to maximize the number of functions that are “pure” and don’t depend on external inputs or outputs.

The main thing though is the recursive build_index function. It takes the list of groups as a first arg, and then the dictionary as the second arg. If there are no groups, then it just returns the index. If there is a group, it uses Map.put to return a new index containing the updated rows, and then recursively passes remaining groups and the update index to itself.

This pattern is so common that there’s the handy Enum — Elixir v1.20.2 function:

  def build_index(contents) do
    contents
    |> String.split(@spliter, trim: true)
    |> Stream.map(&String.split(&1, "\n", trim: true))
    |> Stream.filter(&(Enum.count(&1) > 0))
    |> Enum.reduce(%{}, fn group, index ->
      [title | items] = group
      items = Enum.map(items, fn item -> head <> "/" <> line)
      Map.put(index, title, items)
    end)
  end

There are a bunch of other little changes that could be done to the code, but hopefully this helps introduce the core concepts around iterating through data and returning new data. Enum.each/2 is honestly used pretty rarely, it’s only useful when you want to do some kind of side effect and you don’t care about keeping the result.

hauleth

hauleth

I haven’t tested it, but this should work. Just remember that content need to be list of lines.

def build(content), do: do_build(content, nil, [])

defp do_build([], agg), do: Map.new(agg)
defp do_build(["---", title | rest], agg) do
  {entries, rest} = content(rest)

  do_build(rest, [{title, entries} | agg])
end

defp content(data, agg \\ [])
defp content([], agg), do: {Enum.reverse(agg), []}
defp content(["---" | _] = rest, agg), do: {Enum.reverse(agg), rest}
defp content([entry | rest], agg), do: content(rest, [entry | agg])
hscspring

hscspring OP

It’s really kind of you, I’ve gotten that. That’s quite interesting, thank you again.

hscspring

hscspring OP

Thanks a lot. I’m trying.

hscspring

hscspring OP

I’m sorry, i got an error like this:

** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Index.index_groups/2

    The following arguments were given to Index.index_groups/2:

        # 1
        #Stream<[enum: ["\n\n", "\ntitle1\nline1\nline2\n", "\ntitle2\nline1\nline2"], funs: [#Function<48.51129937/1 in Stream.map/2>, #Function<40.51129937/1 in Stream.filter/2>]]>

        # 2
        %{}

and i have to change the code to:

defmodule Index do
    @spliter "---"

    def index_from_file(index_path) do
        {:ok, contents} = File.read(index_path)
        build_custom_index(contents)
    end

    def build_custom_index(contents) do
        stream = contents
        |> String.split(@spliter, trim: true)
        |> Stream.map(&String.split(&1, "\n", trim: true))
        |> Stream.filter(&(Enum.count(&1) > 0))
        # |> index_groups(%{})
        # add this line
        index_groups(Enum.to_list(stream), %{})
    end

    defp index_groups([], index) do
        index
    end

    defp index_groups([group | groups], index) do
        [title | items] = group
        items = Enum.map(items, fn item -> title <> "/" <> item end)
        index = Map.put(index, title, items)
        index_groups(groups, index)
    end
end

then the code is ok. But i still do not understand the error .
i’ve found this: Elixir: (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching - Stack Overflow, but i don’t think this is my problem.

i guess the problem may come from the Stream, but i can’t find out that.

Oh, by the way, the reduce approach worked well.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Ah whoops I didn’t notice you were doing streams. Your solution is correct, you can also keep the |> going by doing:

|> Stream.filter(&(Enum.count(&1) > 0))
|> Enum.to_list()
|> index_groups(%{})

As a tiny tweak:

|> Stream.filter(&(Enum.count(&1) > 0))

should be:

|> Stream.filter(& &1 != [])

Because this way you don’t need to actually count the length of the list

hscspring

hscspring OP

oo, that’s so obvious, i didn’t even see it…

many thanks to u.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews