edmundobiglia

edmundobiglia

What is the best way to strip ANSI escape sequences from a string?

Go from:

# Go from
"[\e[32m\"one\"\e[0m, \e[32m\"two\"\e[0m, \e[32m\"three\"\e[0m]"

# To
["one", "two", "three"]

Thanks a million!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

ericgray

ericgray

You can use a Regex
I just grabbed one online and used it. Not really good with Regexes so not sure how efficient this is.

defmodule MyAnsi do
  @ansi_regex ~r/(\x9B|\x1B\[)[0-?]*[ -\/]*[@-~]/
  @non_alpha_regex ~r/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/

  def strip_ansi(ansi_string) when is_binary(ansi_string) do
    Regex.replace(@ansi_regex, ansi_string, "")
    |> String.split(",")
    |> Enum.map(&Regex.replace(@non_alpha_regex, &1, ""))
  end

end
kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Would produce a very expected output for all the people of the world that don’t use 7-bit ASCII scripts.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Did you mean to say unexpected?

As a side-note I half (but probably less) implemented an ANSI parser, but ultimately changed the program output I was consuming to be most Lynn plain text. There’s quite a number of potential ANSI codes that you’d have to deal with for an accurate parser.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Good catch! Yes, unexpected!

I read the ECMA-48 spec and yes, quite a lot more complex than just colour code!

edmundobiglia

edmundobiglia OP

Thanks a million, works like a charm! :slightly_smiling_face:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews