chulkilee

chulkilee

I found Code.string_to_quoted/2 returns quoted expression, but couldn’t find a way to rebuild it to code. Also, it has all location information and complicated nest format… so it’s doable but doesn’t seem “easy” at the first glance (e.g. no documentation on the structure? )

I already have a shell script to remove any line starting with # (with optional leading white spaces).. but of course that can break things (e.g. # in multiline string)

Any tips?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Maybe sed?

or awk?

awk '!/^ *#/ && NF' file
chulkilee

chulkilee OP

I’m already using sed but I’d like to handle it with AST so that it doesn’t remove markdown header from multistring @doc, for example

Here is a command I usually run after mix new

sed -i '/^ *#/d' \
  .gitignore \
  config/*.exs \
  lib/**/*.ex \
  mix.exs \
  test/**/*.ex \
  test/**/*.exs

mix format
Schultzer

Schultzer

You are looking for Macro — Elixir v1.20.2

NobbZ

NobbZ

You can use Macro.to_string/1/2:

iex(1)> """
...(1)> defmodule M do
...(1)>   # a function
...(1)>   def foo, do: :foo
...(1)> end
...(1)> """
"defmodule M do\n  # a function\n  def foo, do: :foo\nend\n"
iex(2)> Code.string_to_quoted(v(1))
{:ok,
 {:defmodule, [line: 1],
  [
    {:__aliases__, [line: 1], [:M]},
    [do: {:def, [line: 3], [{:foo, [line: 3], nil}, [do: :foo]]}]
  ]}}
iex(3)> v(2) |> elem(1) |> Macro.to_string
"defmodule(M) do\n  def(foo) do\n    :foo\n  end\nend"
iex(4)> IO.puts(v(3))
defmodule(M) do
  def(foo) do
    :foo
  end
end
:ok
chulkilee

chulkilee OP

Thanks - but I found it does not return same format as mix format for .exs

remove-comment.exs file

# top-level comment

defmodule RemoveComment do
  # in-module comment

  def run(code_string) do
    # in-func comment
    code_string
    |> Code.string_to_quoted!()
    |> Macro.to_string()
  end
end

"./remove-comment.exs"
|> File.read!()
|> RemoveComment.run()
|> IO.puts()

$ elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 22 [erts-10.4.4] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Elixir 1.9.0 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 22)

$ elixir remove-comment.exs
(
  defmodule(RemoveComment) do
    def(run(code_string)) do
      code_string |> Code.string_to_quoted!() |> Macro.to_string()
    end
  end
  "./remove-comment.exs" |> File.read!() |> RemoveComment.run() |> IO.puts()
)
Schultzer

Schultzer

Thats properly because the formatter use Inspect.Algebra — Elixir v1.20.2

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews