Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background
I have a considerable test suite for my app with unit tests and integrated tests. The application has a considerable size so it has quite a number of Logger.debug, Logger.info and Logger.error calls spread around everywhere.
Objective
This means that when I run mix test my output gets polluted with hundreds of lines of logs. I need these logs so removing them from production code is not really an option, but I would like to hide them when testing.
Problem
To achieve this I changed my test_helper.exs to have the following content:
ExUnit.start(capture_log: true)
However when I run mix test I see a ton of l debug and even info logs.
Questions
How can I hide all logs from showing when running mix test ?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jola
The test config (
config/test.exs) generated bymix phx.newhas this.Fl4m3Ph03n1x
I don’t even want those because since I am (also) testing for errors the
Logger.errorcalls will still pollute my output. I am pickyjola
config :logger, backends: []will disable logging. You can find all the options here Logger — Logger v1.20.2rodrigues
for other kinds of outputs,
capture_io/1might help cleanup test output: ExUnit.CaptureIO — ExUnit v1.20.2sasajuric
When testing for errors, you can use ExUnit.CaptureLog to capture log messages (which then won’t appear in the output).
In general, I wouldn’t advise muting errors in tests, since they might be indicative of why some tests are failing.
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
This is … a good point. I have changed my config to the following:
As @jola suggested. This should do it, even though I may see some logs I don’t want to, I think the compromise is fair.
hackvan
You can use only in the test that triggers Log output the
@moduletagdirective: