shahryarjb

shahryarjb

Hello, I have a string which is my Url, the string is:

125-1jump-test-for12-test

now I want to remove 125- from the string by this regex

  def get_number_of_url(url_string) do
    Regex.match?(~r/^(\d+)/, "#{url_string}")
  end

I need it to be without number before - DASH, how can I edit this, I want to remove the string which the regex finds and first DASH after that ?

for example:

1jump-test-for12-test

if there are 2 125-, how will I do ? like this:

125-1jump-test-for12-test-125-

Showing Posts 1 to 6

david_ex

david_ex

Probably something like this:

def strip_leading_number(string) when is_binary(string) do
  case Regex.run(~r/^\d+-/, string) do
    [match] -> string |> String.replace(match, "")
    _ -> string
  end
end
shahryarjb

shahryarjb OP

thank you, but that has a bug when my url is like this

125-1jump-test-for12-test-125-

it removes all 125- like this:

"1jump-test-for12-test-"

but I want this:

"1jump-test-for12-test-125-"
david_ex

david_ex

I thought your edit meant you wanted to remove all of them, sorry.

In that case, it’s even simpler:

def strip_leading_number(string) when is_binary(string) do
  string |> String.replace(~r/^\d+-/, "")
end
und0ck3d

und0ck3d

@shahryarjb you could also use:

iex> string = "125-1jump-test-for12-test-125-"
iex> Regex.replace(~r/^\d+-/, string, "")
"1jump-test-for12-test-125-"

@david_ex do you know if there are any big differences between the two functions? (will try to check the source later today)

david_ex

david_ex

There’s no difference: String.replace/4 proxies the call to Regex.replace/4. See code

FYI, when looking at the Elixir docs for a given function (e.g. Regex.replace/4), you can click on </> in the top right where the function head is displayed and it will take you to the relevant location in the source code.

und0ck3d

und0ck3d

nice! thanks for the tip!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews