manhvu
Hi, I’m looking for a way to replace JSON in Phoenix (LiveView & Channel) with TOON to save resources and get faster parsing. Has anyone tried something similar or have any suggestions?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sevenseacat
Someone really looked at JSON and said ‘you know what this needs? To be more like YAML because everyone loves YAML’?
LostKobrakai
The serialization of channels is configurable ootb with negotiation on connection. Feel free to add to the existing v1 and v2, both of which are JSON based. For browser/JS clients I’d wonder though if that’s really going to speed up things given how much of the js world is json.
krasenyp
It won’t change anything. The most important thing is how to ship strings to the browser as fast as possible. I don’t think any format change can beat the browser in parsing strings and modifying the DOM.
LostKobrakai
Ah, just looked at toon. I truely doubt it doing much at least for what the channel serialization or the lv contents transported on it is concerned. They’re already using no/short keys and efficient structures and on top of that stuff will most likely be compressed in transit. Unlike LLMs the browser doesn’t care nearly as much about a bit of duplication after decompression.
manhvu
Currently, I use Phoenix Channel for communication between mobile and the backend. In some workloads, I noticed that parsing JSON is quite a heavy task. I replaced Jason with the native JSON library.
After looking at TOON, I found another interesting benefit: it can save bandwidth and reduce parsing time on both sides (mobile and backend).
manhvu
I think I will try it with Phoenix Channel first. LiveView might require too many changes.
benwilson512
Make sure that you’re comparing the GZipped sizes in your bandwidth estimate. People tend to forget to do this.
dimitarvp
And while he’s at it, he should compare the Brotli compressed payload sizes as well. Many CDNs and modern browsers support that as well.
cmo
Is it more efficient than MessagePack? There are already Elixir libraries for that.
manhvu
MessagePack is more efficient than TOON, but TOON is easier to integrate with the LLM.