tobleron
I have noticed some discrepancy in the elixir official documentation and would like to know two things. First, if it is an error or I am missing something. Second, how to report it to the elixir team to update the documentation if it’s truly incorrect.
On this link the inspect optional parameters are syntaxed as pretty: true, width: 0
But in this documentationm :pretty and :width parameters are listed as atoms.
So is there something I am not getting? Or it’s a documentation error I need to report? Help appreciated. But the version that works is the first one set in the examples.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex












Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
blatyo
It’s not an error.
Effectively,
pretty:is syntactic sugar.It behaves similarly for maps, where
You can create an issue here: Issues · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
Or, if you know what it’s suppose to be, just fix it.
tobleron
Thanks for your prompt feedback, that is interesting. So I assume they’re both regarded as :atoms by the underlying compiler.
blatyo
Yes, that’s the case.
Qqwy
For future reference: The Elixir Core team (as well as most library owners) take a mistake or oversight in the documentation as seriously as a bug in the code
. Standard procedure is to open an issue on the respective code repository to tell them about the problem.
Elixir devs do not bite; rather we are eternally grateful if someone spots an oversight that we’d missed because it improves the software for everyone!
easco
I’ve actually responded to problems with the documentation several times by submitting pull requests with changes. They have all been well received.
tobleron
Just in case my post title is misunderstood. I am not afraid to report any documentation problems, but the original title of my post was not phrased like that. When the moderator changed the title to a clear question like that, it gives the impression that “I had tried to report before and it did not work”. Which is not the case
christhekeele
My first interactions with the community was submitting PRs for documentation issues I noticed when first discovering the language over 5 years ago. It was awesome how graceful and egoless the core team was, and is impressive how well that empathy has scaled with the size and velocity of the language today!