jaysoifer

jaysoifer

Is there a way to rollback a specific migration and only that one (“skipping” all the other ones)?

Would

mix ecto.rollback -v 20080906120000

accomplish that?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

bobbypriambodo

bobbypriambodo

I believe you can’t. Here are all the available options as per mix help ecto.rollback:

## Command line options

  • -r, --repo - the repo to rollback
  • --all - revert all applied migrations
  • --step / -n - revert n number of applied migrations
  • --to / -v - revert all migrations down to and including version
  • --quiet - do not log migration commands
  • --prefix - the prefix to run migrations on
  • --pool-size - the pool size if the repository is started only for the
    task (defaults to 1)

-v reverts all down to a version, not a specific version.

I can also see why this is hard (if not impossible) to implement. The essential idea of having migrations is to have a consistent, versioned, and repeatable scripts to construct your DB. In constructing it, there are easily revertible operations such as creating tables, but also “weird” ones such as creating triggers or adding columns.

Suppose it’s possible: say migration 1 creates a table A, and migration 2 adds a column to that table. You then rollback migration 1, effectively deleting table A. What would happen to migration 2, should you try to rollback again later?

Technically it’s possible, but there will be so many edge cases that it’s a hell lot easier to just not allow that :slight_smile:

jaysoifer

jaysoifer OP

That makes sense. Just wanted to confirm it.

Thank you

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You can always make a new migration that just undoes what a prior one did, but still keeps a proper versioned state.

sean

sean

It’s not pretty but this works for me:

def rollback(version) when is_integer(version) do
  re = ~r/^#{version}_.*\.exs/
  path = Application.app_dir(:your_app, Path.join(["priv", "repo", "migrations"]))

  with {:find, "" <> file} <- {:find, Enum.find(File.ls!(path), &String.match?(&1, re))},
       {:compile, [{mod, _} | _]} <- {:compile, Code.compile_file(Path.join(path, file))},
       {:rollback, :ok} <- {:rollback, Ecto.Migrator.down(Repo, version, mod)} do
    {:ok, "Reversed migration: #{file}"}
  else
    {:find, _} -> {:error, "No migration found with version prefix: #{version}"}
    {:compile, e} -> {:error, "Problem compiling migration module: #{inspect(e)}"}
    {:rollback, e} -> {:error, "Problem reversing migration: #{inspect(e)}"}
    e -> {:error, "Something unexpected happened: #{inspect(e)}"}
  end
end
i_a

i_a

Here’s an adapted example from the Ecto.Migrator docs.

Ecto.Migrator.with_repo(your_repo, &Ecto.Migrator.run(&1, :down, to: version))

evadne

evadne

This is incorrect! This will still run all migrations between the version desired and the current version.

voyenavion

voyenavion

this i think is the most helpful answer

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews