Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have a small function with some branching logic and I have some tests for it. I would like to use the erlang debugger when I run a given test to make sure I am executing the correct code.

Code

Lets assume we are testing DebuggerTest.greet/1:

defmodule DebugerTest do
  def greet(greeting) do
    if greeting == "Hola" do
      str = "#{greeting} mundo!"
      IO.puts(str)
      :spanish_greet
    else
      str = "#{greeting} world!"
      IO.puts(str)
      :normal_greet
    end
  end
end

Now, this function has some branching logic, and the code is overall horrible, but it does give us a lot of juicy executable lines that we attach a breakpoint to.

These are the tests I am running:

defmodule DebugerTestTest do
  use ExUnit.Case
  doctest DebugerTest

  test "greets the world" do
    assert DebugerTest.greet("Hello") == :normal_greet
  end

  test "greets the world in spanish" do
    assert DebugerTest.greet("Hola") == :fail_greet
  end
end

As you can see, my spanish greeting test will fail. However, I want to find that out using the erlang debugger:

Running the tests

Given that I am only interested in running the failing test, I change my code to:

@tag :wip
 test "greets the world in spanish" do
    assert DebugerTest.greet("Hola") == :fail_greet
  end

And then I run mix test --only wip.

There, now I am running only the failing test. But I am still not using the debugger.
To try to fix this I tried running the tests via an iex shell iex -S mix test --only wip but the run is automated and it ends before I can setup the debugger:

:debugger.start()
:int.ni(DebugerTest)
:int.break(DebugerTest, 3)

Question

How can I run the erlang debugger when using mix test ?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

Try iex -S mix test --trace --only wip.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Doesnt work:

iex -S mix test --trace
Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:12:12] [ds:12:12:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Hello world!
Hola mundo!

DebugerTestTest [test/debuger_test_test.exs]
  * test greets the world (0.03ms) [L#5]
  * test greets the world in spanish (0.02ms) [L#9]


Finished in 0.02 seconds (0.00s async, 0.02s sync)
2 tests, 0 failures


stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

Seems to be working for me:

  test "greets the world in spanish" do
    :debugger.start()
    :int.ni(DebugerTest)
    :int.break(DebugerTest, 3)
    assert DebugerTest.greet("Hola") == :fail_greet
  end

and then:

iex -S mix test --trace

waits for the debugger to finish.

lukaszsamson

lukaszsamson

ElixirLS Core Team

ElixirLS VSCode extension supports running tests with debugging right from the UI. Navigate to Testing tab and click Debug test or right click an icon next to test definition and select Debug test.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews