scherrey
When using Phoenix.Pubsub.Subscribe and having a large number of subscribers to the same event (3k+), is there a single process pushing all those events out sequentially? If so, what would it take to distribute this to a pool of publisher processes which are assigned subscribers based on their hash so the process of fulfilling subscriptions is better distributed over the system cores? Has anyone done this before?
Ultimately we’re trying to significantly reduce latency at scale by allowing the scheduler to put multiple processors in action to satisfy a large number of subscriptions.
Sounds like something that can’t easily be done without altering the Phoenix pubsub code base.
Trending in Discussions
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
It’s not a single process, but it’s a single process per node, which dispatches the message to all the subscribers of that node (implemented using
Registry.dispatch).Registry.dispatchactually does have aparalleloption, which kicks in once registry stores registered processes on multiple ets table shards if enabled.Phoenix PubSub does also support custom dispatchers though, which e.g. phoenix channels use to fastlane messages sent to external clients. Fastlaning in this case means encoding the message only once based on the serialization format and faning out only the encoded message directly to the sockets instead of faning out to channel processes, encoding messages individually and letting channel processes forward the encoded message to their sockets.
So you might be able to enable parallel sending by
Registryby configuring a custom dispatcher.