ab81
I have implemented user handling with the built-in phx.gen.auth solution and now created a resource that is in one-to-many relationship to the users (i.e. one user may have one or more resources).
What would be the most elegant and standard way to limit access to the resources in a way so that a user only see/change her own resources and also, whenever a resource is created/updated, it is automatically assigned to the user?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
krasenyp
The most elegant? Let the database handle it using Row Level Security. Otherwise you need to use the user identifier in every query you want to scope.
ab81
I’m more looking for something that can be easily plugged into Phoenix, maybe a plug or a library, but authorization libraries seem to be too complex for just this purpose.
For the time being, I’m adding the user identifier to all model queries in the controller, not sure if this is the ideal approach.
garrison
The “standard approach” is to create a Context module to hold your functions for a particular context (e.g. Resources), and then write Ecto queries the same way you would write SQL (the Ecto syntax is essentially just SQL, which is what makes it so great).
Since you’ve already used
phx.gen.authyou have a very good example of a Context (theAccountscontext). You can create another context (they’re just modules, see the guide I linked) for your purpose, for example something like this:Where a
Resourceis an Ecto schema with abelongs_torelationship to yourUserschema.This is perfectly fine - it’s the standard way to do things with a relational database. You should call out to the Context instead of writing your queries in the Controller, but that’s really just to keep your project organized as it grows (the time will come when you want to use a Context function from more than one Controller, for example).
You can also check out the Ecto multi-tenancy with foreign keys guide for a way to standardize this, but your particular use case might not be siloed well enough for this to be the right approach. I’d recommend scoping each query by hand for now.