peppy

peppy

I’ve been working on a RabbitMQ publisher and discovered that you can only publish strings to a RabbitMQ queue. The problem is I’m trying to publish a map to the RabbitMQ queue and it won’t let me.

For example:

my_map = %{message: "test", userid: 234}

I tried using Jason.encode!(my_map) to serialize the map before publishing it to the queue, which seems to work. But when I receive the message out of the queue in a later part of the app, I use Jason.decode!(my_map_from_queue), and I get this:

my_map = %{"message" => "test", "userid" => 234}

I also considered:

:erlang.term_to_binary(my_map)
:erlang.binary_to_term(my_map)

However, this thread mentioned it is unsafe to do on untrusted data: Serialize and unserialize structs, tuples, keyword lists, atoms? - #5 by sezaru

My intention is to save messages from a chat room to the database, so the message text being submitted could be anything and untrusted input coming from the chat room.

The original map being submitted is pre-formatted to a specific database schema. The goal was to gather all chat messages to RabbitMQ and use a producer to collect these messages in batches and use Repo.insert_all([list of maps]). The hope was that anything going into RabbitMQ would come out exactly the same.

What is a good solution for the serialization or “stringifying” and “destringifying” things going into and out of RabbitMQ queues?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

What we do at my current employer is using MessagePack through the Msgpax library. Works well and keeps the door open for having a multi-language stack, if we ever need it.

myefomit

myefomit

Hello,

you can use keys: :atoms option for Jason.decode:

iex> my_map = %{message: "test", userid: 234}
%{message: "test", userid: 234}
iex> json = Jason.encode!(my_map)            
"{\"message\":\"test\",\"userid\":234}"
iex> Jason.decode!(json, keys: :atoms)
%{message: "test", userid: 234}
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey @myefomit welcome. Unfortunately I don’t think this is good advice here. Decoding to atoms will create new atoms if the message keys change. Unless the shape of the RabbitMQ messages never changes this will eventually lead to excessive memory use and crash the application.

SirWerto

SirWerto

I think you can use binary_to_term/2 with the safe option.

:erlang.binary_to_term(my_map, [:safe]).

this only use atoms that have been created earlier, but you have to deal with the possible exception raising.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

As a bonus you won’t ever get attacked by serialized functions inside the payload. AFAIR the :safe flag does not include functions.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews