samtechie
Am totally new to Libcluster but I want to start two phoenix app instances on my local machine in dev mode. So this is what I have done so far based on the libcluster documentation.
This is my application.ex.
def start(_type, _args) do
topologies = Application.get_env(:libcluster, :topologies) || []
children = [
# start libcluster
{Cluster.Supervisor, [topologies, [name: MyApp.ClusterSupervisor]]},
# ..other children..
And my config/dev.exs
config :libcluster,
topologies: [
example: [
# The selected clustering strategy. Required.
strategy: Cluster.Strategy.Epmd,
# Configuration for the provided strategy. Optional.
config: [hosts: [:"a@127.0.0.1", :"b@127.0.0.1"]],
# The function to use for connecting nodes. The node
# name will be appended to the argument list. Optional
connect: {:net_kernel, :connect_node, []},
# The function to use for disconnecting nodes. The node
# name will be appended to the argument list. Optional
disconnect: {:erlang, :disconnect_node, []},
# The function to use for listing nodes.
# This function must return a list of node names. Optional
list_nodes: {:erlang, :nodes, [:connected]},
]
]
My first question is what is the example key above? can it be renamed to anything? Should it be the application name?. Secondly, how would I start this in my shell. I tried
PORT=4000 elixir --name a@127.0.0.1 -S mix phx.server & PORT=4001 elixir --name
b@127.0.0.1 -S mix phx.server
It just got a warning message unable to connect to :"b@127.0.0.1" and the normal phoenix app was started. I have no idea how to do this properly. Any ideas or guidance are welcome.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jarimatti
Quick note on the warning message: it is normal during startup, if the other node is not up yet. You can check if the nodes see each other with e.g.
Node.list(): it shows the nodes this node is connected to.When the nodes are connected, node
bshould see nodea:I find it helpful to start two nodes with interactive shells while developing. In this case you could do
PORT=4000 iex --name a@127.0.0.1 -S mix phx.serverin one terminal andPORT=4001 iex --name b@127.0.0.1 -S mix phx.serverin another.jarimatti
The docs are not clear on this one so take this with a grain of salt: the
exampleis a name for the topology. You can have multiple topologies in a single application with same or different strategies. I’m not sure if this is very useful in practice, but it’s possible. I usually put application name there.The code is in the
Cluster.Supervisor: libcluster/lib/supervisor.ex at a07ca5605e5cfad3da880ebda1ab6dbd5f635539 · bitwalker/libcluster · GitHubBy default all nodes in an Elixir/Erlang cluster are connected, so when there are multiple topologies it’s still a single cluster.
samtechie
Thanks I tried this
PORT=4000 iex --name a@127.0.0.1 -S mix phx.serverbut am now getting the error.I am not sure what is wrong because there’s no application using the port.
antoine
In your first post in the command , you used one
&so the first instance is running in back ground using the port 4000.Try to type
fgin your terminal , you will go back to the corresponding iex.crova
In case you ever want to fiddle with multiple topologies and don’t want the default behavior of all nodes connecting to everyone else automatically, you’ll want to pass
--erl "-connect_all false"when starting your nodes.Regarding the port being used, make sure that there is no hardcoded “4000” in any of your config. Otherwise it won’t grab the value you’re passing from the command line.
egze
Look here for example Demo of distributed Elixir with libcluster and DNS
samtechie
Thanks turns out the problem was the hardcode “4000” in the config.