lessless

lessless

Hello,

In our app, we have to start dynamic amount of workers and we can’t just define them as a part of supervision tree in the application’s start callback, because of using :simple_one_for_one strategy

use Application

 def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      supervisor(Registry, [:unique, Postman.AccountRegistry])
    ]
    account_supervisors = Enum.map(accounts(), &account_supervisor/1)

    Supervisor.start_link(children ++ account_supervisors, [strategy: :one_for_one, name: Postman.Supervisor])
  end

  defp account_supervisors(account),
    do: Enum.map(accounts, &(supervisor(Postman.Processor.AccountSupervisor, [&1.name], id: &1.name)))


defmodule Postman.Processor.AccountSupervisor do
  use Supervisor

  def start_link(account_name) do
    Supervisor.start_link(__MODULE__, nil, name: via_tuple(account_name))
  end

  def start_child(account_name, max_demand),
    do: via_tuple(account_name) |> Supervisor.start_child([account_name, max_demand])

  def init(_) do
    supervise(
      [worker(Postman.Processor.Stage.Account, [])],
      strategy: :simple_one_for_one
    )
  end

  defp via_tuple(account_name),
    do: {:via, Registry, {Postman.AccountRegistry, "#{account_name}-supervisor"}}

end

That means to spawn new workers with AccountSupervisor.start_child/2 we have to wait until supervisor finishes its initialization.

The only way around that I can think of is to add GenStage that will start after Supervisors and which solely job will be to spawn children. But is spawning order guaranteed, i.e. is it synchronous?

Maybe there is a whole better way get around that problem?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

idi527

idi527

I don’t quite understand your problem, but why can’t you just put a genserver at the end of the children list, which will start all your accounts and terminate? Is there really a need for genstage?

application.ex

defmodule Test.Application do
  use Application

  def start(_type, _args) do
    import Supervisor.Spec, warn: false

    children = [
      supervisor(Registry, [:unique, Test.Registry]),
      supervisor(Test.Account.Supervisor, []),
      worker(Test.Account.Starter, [], restart: :transient)
    ]

    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: Test.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end
end

account/supervisor.ex

defmodule Test.Account.Supervisor do
  use Supervisor

  def start_link do
    Supervisor.start_link(__MODULE__, nil, name: __MODULE__)
  end

  def start_child(account) do
    Supervisor.start_child(__MODULE__, [account])
  end

  def init(_) do
    children = [
      worker(Test.Account, [])
    ]

    supervise(children, strategy: :simple_one_for_one)
  end
end

account/starter.ex

defmodule Test.Starter do
  use GenServer

  def start_link do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, nil)
  end

  def init(_) do
    send(self(), :start_children)
    {:ok, nil}
  end

  def handle_info(:start_children, _) do
    accounts = [:a, :b, :c]
    Enum.each(accounts, fn account ->
      Test.Account.Supervisor.start_child(account)
    end)
    {:stop, "iz kil"}
  end
end

Anyway, it’s just a suggestion. I also think there is a simpler way.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Yup, this is the way to go. You don’t need a GenServer though, a Task would suffice. And you want to pass worker(Test.Starter, [], restart: :transient) so it is not restarted right after it terminates.

lessless

lessless OP

@idi527 you’re right - it should be GenServer there.

Thanks a lot, folks!

benbonnet

benbonnet

I have this use case; an extra genserver works well; but wondering if it could be done via a task

So far (with recent syntax) :

def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      {
        SomeSupervisor,
        strategy: :one_for_one
      },
      Supervisor.child_spec({Task, start_stuffs}, id: :start_stuffs, restart: :transient)
    ]

    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: App.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

  def start_stuffs do
    ["stuff_name1", "stuff_name2"]
    |> Enum.each(fn stuff_name ->
      IO.puts("Processing stuff #{stuff_name}")
      SomeSupervisor.supervise_stuff(stuff_name)
    end)
  end

Ot is there a completely different way now to achieve that ?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews