UlrikHD

UlrikHD

I got an application where I’d like to start the node with a (long) name dynamically determined during runtime based on the computer’s IP address. However when I run mix release the application is given a node at compile time. I can’t for the life of me get anything useful out the mix release docs

So my question is, how do configure my project to not start the system with a pre-defined node.

Bonus question would be why does mix release hard code a node name? Won’t it make it impossible to differentiate between two nodes of the same application?

This is mostly what’s in my mix.exs

defmodule Elevator.MixProject do
  use Mix.Project

  def project do
    [
      app: :elevator,
      version: "0.8.0",
      elixir: "~> 1.13",
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      env: Mix.env(),
      releases: [
        win_debug: [
          include_executables_for: [:windows],
          applications: [runtime_tools: :permanent],
          path: "releases/win_debug/"
        ],
        lab_debug: [
          include_executables_for: [:unix],
          applications: [runtime_tools: :permanent],
          path: "releases/lab_debug/"
        ]
      ]
    ]
  end

  def application() do
    [
      extra_applications: [:logger, :runtime_tools],
      mod: {Main, []}
      # Switch with Main to simulate single elevator
      # mod: {ElevatorSimul, []}
    ]
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 3

UlrikHD

UlrikHD OP

After trawling through elixir repos on Github for hints, I got a working solution by creating a file rel/env.bat.eex with the lines:

@echo off
set RELEASE_DISTRIBUTION=none

This disables the application from starting up Node, so that we can manually control it via Node.start/3

I also got a file rel/env.sh.eex that I assume will apply the same changes on Linux.

#!/bin/sh

export RELEASE_DISTRIBUTION=none
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

You could also have used

mix release --init

It creates the rel folder and files automatically

UlrikHD

UlrikHD OP

C:\Users\UlrikHD\Documents\test> mix release --init
** (Mix) Could not invoke task "release": 1 error found!
--init : Unknown option

It’s mix release.init as of elixir 1.18 (just in case someone stumbles over it)

Thanks for the tip though, it might help others that stumbles over a similar problem

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews