benonymus
Hey there,
I want to make my bucket closed, so people can’t get anything form it even with the links,
so I want to authenticate through the app (already done) and if that is passed I want to return the file with a new link, how would one go about this?
I read that chunking can be useful, but I don’t get the whole picture, that how will I have a new link for the client?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
alvises
Are you using
ExAws.S3?In the past I did a service like wetransfer, using S3. So, if you want to use your application just for authorisation you can use a presigned url.
client → (your backend generate a presigned url) —> redirect the client to this url —> client downloads
In this way the client downloads directly from S3, without using bandwidth of your servers.
LostKobrakai
I was about to suggest presigned urls as well, but for the timespan those are valid they’re indeed shareable. I’m not sure if @benonymus wants that or does really need authentication on each request to the resource.
benonymus
Thanks for both of the answers, we decided not to use presigned urls, so I am interested in a different solution
I was told that it is possible to stream the data from amazon through the backend using http chunking, but I dont know that how will that give a new url to the client
So far I got this:
and this gives this as a result
NobbZ
The only other way I’d see, is to download in a stream and pipe the bytes down to the client, but this would mean that you have to pay the bill, twice!
benonymus
yes, so basically instead of aws → client we do
aws → backend → client
right?
NobbZ
Yes. That’s the way you would do it.
alvises
it depends if they have or not the servers on aws. Outbound traffic between EC2 instances and S3 is free. But sure, from EC2 to client it’s paid (and quite expensive)
@benonymus why you avoid presigned urls?
alvises
Sorry guys for the “withdrawn” posts. I hit reply while I was trying to quote your posts.
Elixir makes this really easy thanks for concurrency. Do you have everything on AWS? Or do you have the servers with a different cloud provider?
benonymus
everything is on aws yes, so the thing is that I am not sure how to go about it technially, is there any good article on it?
benonymus
Presigned urls (requires methods to maintain url’s and refresh them, can result in weird caching problems when url’s expire, this was the conclusions we came with this option