pmjoe
Do you have any tips or links on how to structure a Elixir application? I’m keen towards a more feature based separation instead of type based (controllers, models, …). But I never did any big project in Elixir so everything is still a question for me.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
lccezinha
Maybe this topic can help you How to structure a large live view app? - #19 by eahanson
sodapopcan
Phoenix contexts are loosely based on Bounded Contexts from Domain Driven Design. DDD is a huge topic with many concepts but you don’t actually need to learn them all, you can pick and choose. I’ve worked in a company that successfuly employed DDD—bounded contexts were the part that clicked most for me (at least of the more in depth topics), so that was a big draw of Phoenix for me.
JEG2
Very loosely. I reread the docs two weeks ago and I feel like they’ve toned down some of the initial guidance. I would now summarize their main thrust as, “Don’t put business logic in your controllers.”
sodapopcan
Yes, indeed very loosely. I wouldn’t even say this is recent. This makes me realize I should have framed my comment more like: “If you wanna check out Bounded Contexts then maybe you’ll gain some insight into Chris’ thinking which you can then take or leave.” It’s what I get for checking Elixir Forum and trying to respond in the 5 mins before my rice was done cooking.
dimitarvp
Definitely. Ultimately all the stuff like “models”, “controllers”, “views” and what-have-you are just artifacts of our own imagination; artificial constructs that help us think about a problem better. But, hm, they don’t fit the brains of all of us that well though.
I’ve voiced ideas – one that I never acted on for now – that framework artifacts should live in entirely different directories even. Maybe one day I’ll try. Though with having a library like
boundariesthat becomes a semi-moot point.