Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have a Phoenix LiveView application called WebInterface that has little to no logic inside it.
Instead, this application only has logic related to managing windows and UI related tasks.

This application is an umbrella app, that uses another umbrella app, called core which has all the business logic and goodies.

Problem

I am using excoveralls to make sure I have a decent level of test coverage across my umbrella apps, WebInterface included.

However, since there is very little logic to test, I have a low amount of test coverage, namely 18%.

This would be fine, except that excoveralls has a minimum threshold of 90%, which causes the coveralls.github task to fail and thus fails the pipeline as well.

Question

  • Is there a standard way to increase test coverage for this type of UI only applications in Elixir?
  • What tools do you usually use?
  • If this is not possible/not good idea, how would you fix the issue?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

I didn’t get it.. can’t you use LiveView testing helpers from Phoenix.LiveViewTest — Phoenix LiveView v1.2.5?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Can you give an example of what parts of the phoenix app are not covered. View, controllers, templates, … can be tested. I think things like the router and the endpoint are more likely to be problematic, just like anything macro heavy.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

This is the coverage of said WebInterface:

Randomized with seed 868975
----------------
COV    FILE                                        LINES RELEVANT   MISSED
  0.0% lib/web_interface.ex                          111        2        2
 91.6% lib/web_interface/application.ex               64       12        1
  0.0% lib/web_interface/components/core_compon      907      190      190
  0.0% lib/web_interface/components/layouts.ex         7        0        0
  0.0% lib/web_interface/components/operation_p       39       10       10
  0.0% lib/web_interface/controllers/error_html       19        1        1
  0.0% lib/web_interface/controllers/error_json       15        1        1
  0.0% lib/web_interface/controllers/page_contr       13        3        3
  0.0% lib/web_interface/controllers/page_html.        5        0        0
 40.0% lib/web_interface/desktop/menu_bar.ex          46        5        3
100.0% lib/web_interface/desktop/window_utils.e       33        6        0
  0.0% lib/web_interface/endpoint.ex                  48        0        0
  0.0% lib/web_interface/live/activate_live.ex       232       72       72
  0.0% lib/web_interface/live/deactivate_live.e      206       63       63
  0.0% lib/web_interface/live/login_live.ex           99       22       22
  0.0% lib/web_interface/live/logout_live.ex          40        9        9
  0.0% lib/web_interface/live/profile_live.ex         21        4        4
100.0% lib/web_interface/persistence.ex               24        5        0
  0.0% lib/web_interface/persistence/button.ex        32        8        8
 92.3% lib/web_interface/persistence/strategy.e       45       13        1
 96.0% lib/web_interface/persistence/syndicate.      152       50        2
 87.5% lib/web_interface/persistence/user.ex          33        8        1
  0.0% lib/web_interface/router.ex                    35        8        8
 80.0% lib/web_interface/telemetry.ex                 71        5        1
  0.0% test/support/conn_case.ex                      37        2        2

For example, lib/web_interface is the default auto generated filed from Phoenix, which has a bunch of macros:

  Do NOT define functions inside the quoted expressions
  below. Instead, define additional modules and import
  those modules here.

source: market_manager/apps/web_interface/lib/web_interface.ex at master · Fl4m3Ph03n1x/market_manager · GitHub

Another example is theapps\web_interface\lib\web_interface\components\core_components.ex file, with also 0% testing.

This is the auto generated file of core components that comes with Phoenix (with some minor personal additions, but that is besides the point): market_manager/apps/web_interface/lib/web_interface/components/core_components.ex at master · Fl4m3Ph03n1x/market_manager · GitHub

Both files have 0% tests (being auto generated for the most part), thus lowering the total percentage of tests done. Coveralls doesn’t consider this.

Can you point to a tutorial or a state of the art article that explains on how to use these helpers in a project? I was not able to find any standard way of testing liveview apps.

shamanime

shamanime

This is old but still valid:

It shows how to interact with a LV and a component in a test.
From that you just use the other functions that makes sense with your LV, like clicking buttons (render_click) or submitting forms (render_submit) or using hooks or other events etc.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews