Serj

Serj

I’m finishing reading Dave Thomas’s book “Programming Elixir 1.6”. And I was faced with a question about how to test terminate callback from GenServer. I made a test for this, but I’m not sure that it’s a good practice to test in the way that I did. Also, I didn’t find an answer on how to test terminate on google and this forum.

Here is an example of how my GenServer looks like.

defmodule Sequence.Server do
  use GenServer

  @me __MODULE__

  #####
  # External API

  def init(_) do
    {:ok, Sequence.Stash.get()}
  end

  def start_link(_) do
    GenServer.start_link(@me, nil, name: @me)
  end

  def current_number do
    GenServer.call(@me, :current_number)
  end

  def next_number do
    GenServer.call(@me, :next_number)
  end

  def update_number(new_number) when is_integer(new_number) do
    GenServer.cast(@me, {:update, new_number})
  end

  def increment_number(delta) do
    GenServer.cast(@me, {:increment_number, delta})
  end

  #####
  # GenServer implementation

  def handle_call(:next_number, _from, current_number) do
    {:reply, current_number, current_number + 1}
  end

  def handle_call(:current_number, _from, current_number) do
    {:reply, current_number, current_number}
  end

  def handle_cast({:increment_number, delta}, current_number) do
    {:noreply, current_number + delta}
  end

  def handle_cast({:update, new_number}, _current_number) do
    {:noreply, new_number}
  end

  def terminate(_reason, current_number) do
    Sequence.Stash.update(current_number)
  end

  def format_status(_reason, [_pdict, state]) do
    [data: [{'State', "My current state is '#{inspect(state)}'"}]]
  end
end

And here is an example of how I tried to test this callback.

defmodule ServerTest do
  use ExUnit.Case

  alias Sequence.Server

  import :timer, only: [ sleep: 1 ]

  setup do
    Server.update_number(1)
  end

  test "terminate returns last value before terminating" do
    assert Server.next_number == 1

    Server.increment_number("cat")

    sleep(500)
    assert Server.current_number == 2
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 4

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

GenServer.stop/3 should be useful here:

Synchronously stops the server with the given reason.
The terminate/2 callback of the given server will be invoked before exiting. This function returns :ok if the server terminates with the given reason; if it terminates with another reason, the call exits.

Serj

Serj OP

Thanks for your comment and suggestion. Unfortunately I still can’t test a message that terminate callback returns. And also I can call terminate without stop simply passing to the function string instead of number that I already did.

Server.increment_number("cat")

I changed a test to this with stop function.

test "terminate returns last value before terminating" do
    assert Server.next_number == 1

    assert :ok = GenServer.stop(Server)

    sleep(500)
    assert Server.current_number == 2
  end
stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

I don’t think you should be making assertions on the result of the terminate callback. I think a better approach would be to make assertions on the observable effects of calling the callback:

test "terminate updates the stash with the last value when terminating" do
  assert Server.next_number() == 1

  assert :ok = GenServer.stop(Server)

  # No need to sleep here, GenServer.stop is a synchronous call.

  # Make assertion on the Stash
  assert Sequence.Stash.get() == ...
end
Serj

Serj OP

Yes, I think it makes sense, thanks :+1:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews