Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have a small terminal application that does HTTP requests to a website. However, I am making too many requests per second and I am drowning the receiver.

Solution

The obvious solution is to throttle the rate at which I perform requests.
Since I am using HTTPoison I thought about reading the docs to see if this was a feature, but I didn’t find anything.

The other solution is to find a community library that does this for me. This library would have to not use any external tools (like redis) and throttle out-going requests. After some investigation I didn’t really find anything in the community.

Surely this is something out there and I missed it.

Questions

What libraries do you use when you need to throttle out-going requests?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

lalo2302

lalo2302

  • Check out HTTPoison pools.
  • You can read about GenStage. This basically covers your case although it might be an overkill, it depends on your use case
  • You can easily play around with a GenServer, having just a counter of requests being made. This can lead to some mistakes, but it might suit your needs.

There might be other libraries around which can handle this, but you can do this hands on and should not be very difficult.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

Those are fair solutions, but if I wanted to do this myself I would have used an ETS table to queue up the requests as and then make batch requests to the target website.
I am just trying to avoid the workload.

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

There is an erlang library for load regulation that I have used in the past.

https://github.com/uwiger/jobs

At the simplest case you can start a job queue which will only allow a specific amount of requests per second. It doesn’t use any external dependencies.

At its simplest:

> jobs.add_queue(:myqueue, [{:standard_rate, 10}])
> jobs.run(:myqueue, fn -> :httpc.request('https://www.forum.elixirforum.com') end)

Runs the jobs at a rate of 10 per second at most

akoutmos

akoutmos

Author of Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves

I actually wrote a blog post about this exact problem and go through the process of implementing token bucket and leaky bucket rate limiters using a simple GenServer and a Task.Supervisor: Easy and Robust Rate Limiting in Elixir-Alex Koutmos | Engineering Blog

I’d imagine that you want to persist your queue in the case that the application goes down. You can add that in pretty easily to the code snippets I walk through by implementing the terminate/2 callback.

Hope that helps!

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

As a final remark to this thread, I just wanted to say I eventually went with the @cmkarlsson’s suggestion and used the jobs library.

However, I also read @akoutmos’s blog, and I can say that although it is not a reading for beginners, I very much enjoyed it and I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about throttlers.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews