smahi

smahi

Hi,
I Have list of atom statuses = [:pending, :accepted, :rejected] this is used in select tag in Live view HTML. I want to translate it in my language, i am not able to do that using Gettext, is there another way?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Is your question how to provide the labels to the select input or how to handle translation in an elixir system without using gettext?

smahi

smahi OP

I am using the above list to set the select tag options (value and text), and i want to translate the text using some kind of library, because I did figure out how to do it using Gettext

linusdm

linusdm

It’s not clear to me of you did or did not figure out how to use gettext. But if you didn’t get gettext working, your best option would be to describe what didn’t work for you, using gettext (what did you observe, or which error did you encounter).
Gettext is afaik your best choice for translations, and not very difficult to set up. There are no easier libraries to set up, that I know of.

smahi

smahi OP

Unfortunately this did not work for me!

def build_options_list do
statuses = [:pending, :accepted, :rejected]

statuses
|> Enum.map(&Atom.to_string/1)
|> Enum.map(&{&1, dgettext("options", &1)})
end

It throws the following error:

** (ArgumentError) Gettext macros expect translation keys (msgid and msgid_plural),
domains, and comments to expand to strings at compile-time, but the given msgid
doesn't. This is what the macro received:
ibarch

ibarch

Could you try to replace this line:

|> Enum.map(&{&1, dgettext("options", &1)})

With something like this:

|> Enum.map(&{Gettext.dgettext(YourApp.Gettext, "options", to_string(&1)), &1})

I think with dynamic values you must explicitly specify your Gettext backend module.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

def build_options_list do
  [
    pending: dgettext("options", "pending"),
    accepted: dgettext("options", "accepted"),
    rejected: dgettext("options", "rejected")
  ]
end

This way the strings are compile time known – which allows mix gettext.extract to pick up those strings as something to be translated.

smahi

smahi OP

Thank you, but did not work
@LostKobrakai solution worked for me.

@ibarch
@LostKobrakai
Thank you so much for your helps.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews