alexisdevtailor

alexisdevtailor

Hello guys, I am not sure if this question has been asked before, but I did a search and did not find it.

I am looking to trim the html rendered from a ~F"“” sigil.

 defp produce_trimmed_html(assigns) do 
    html = ~F"""
    <somecomponent />
     """
   String.trim(html)
 end

Here, String.trim is not working because the html is not a string but binary. How can I do this?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Can you show an example of what binary are you getting so we can see why String.trim doesn’t work on it? All other things being normal, it should work on a binary as well.

alexisdevtailor

alexisdevtailor OP

I am not able to retrieve the binary data.
Even a simple html causes an error.

defp some_method(assigns) do
    item = ~F"""
    <div></div>
    """

    String.trim(item)
end

VSCode reports this:

The function call will not succeed.

String.trim(
  _item :: %Phoenix.LiveView.Rendered{
    :dynamic => (_ -> []),
    :fingerprint => 264_197_832_235_070_763_522_609_757_631_039_213_058,
    :root => true,
    :static => [<<_::96>>, ...]
  }
)

will never return since the success typing is:
(binary()) :: binary()

The Surface error I am getting on the console is this:

no function clause matching in String.trim/1
    (elixir 1.13.4) lib/string.ex:1241: String.trim(%Phoenix.LiveView.Rendered{dynamic: #Function<0.132818971/1 in MoonWeb.Pages.IconsPage.get_import_text_by_attribute/2>, fingerprint: 264197832235070763522609757631039213058, root: true, static: ["<div></div>\n"]})

It tells me that item is not a string but binary()

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

As the error message tells you sigil_F doesn’t return a string. It returns a struct, which is required to optimize templates in LV usage (split dynamic vs. static parts, …). You simply cannot run String.trim on that.

msaraiva

msaraiva

Broadway Core Team

Hi @alexisdevtailor!

You can achieve that with something like:

~F"""
<somecomponent />
"""
|> Phoenix.HTML.Safe.to_iodata()
|> IO.iodata_to_binary()
|> String.trim()
christhekeele

christhekeele

An alternative approach might work, by trimming first and sigiling later. Maybe something like:

defp produce_trimmed_html(assigns) do 
    """
    <somecomponent />
    """
   |> String.trim
   |> sigil_F
 end
alexisdevtailor

alexisdevtailor OP

@msaraiva Thank you for this suggestion. :blush: It works well, the only problem is that Safe is converting the html tags into safe representations. The data is not user supplied and I am pretty sure it is safe, so I don’t want to convert the html result into safe representation. Is there a way to do this?

alexisdevtailor

alexisdevtailor OP

@christhekeele Thank you for this suggestion. I am trying to this in a live_view and I get an error stating that sigil_F/1 is undefined. Do I need to import something first? :blush:

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

Note that returning a trimmed string rather than %Phoenix.LiveView.Rendered{} will remove all diffing, so this is almost definitely not what you want to do unless it’s the top-level render of a dead view. Even the the marginal trimming savings is not going to be worth the extra work.

christhekeele

christhekeele

Upon some digging, I’m now quite sure sigil macros are obliged to do all their work at compile-time only, and are not designed to readily accept run-time strings without a bit of hackery. You could always try to craft a runtime-friendly variant of whatever the sigil does under the covers, but as @chrismccord points out there are other reasons to rethink the approach.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews