How to turn Elixir into HTML and JS?

Hello! As part of working on a small Elixir project, I’m trying to turn some of the data structures into HMTL and JS and looking for some pointers on how to do so.

Let’s say I have a data structure like so and want to draw it on an HTML canvas.
%Node{ x: 10, y: 10, size: 10 }

Rendering the EEx to an HTML string is simple enough, but how could I generate dynamic JS that would, say, draw n number of Nodes to the HTML canvas?

I suppose I could add a <script> tag in the EEx, but that doesn’t feel very robust - does anyone know how Phoenix handles bundling dynamic JS?

That does not answer your question directly but I feel like you want to use Phoenix Channels and coordinate using websockets. It’s ridiculously easy to use websockets on a phoenix app, everything just works ™️ and you can do bi directional communication with your server.

But in case you just want a once-and-done sort of “render an elixir map as JS” I’d just use some way of converting my map into JSON (probably using Jason) and rendering inside a script tag like you mentioned.

You can use JS Hooks with LiveView. Just talk to your front end through events!

Excerpts:

Communication with the hook from the server can be done by reading data attributes on the hook element or by using Phoenix.LiveView.push_event/3 on the server and handleEvent on the client.

However, the data attribute approach is not a good approach if you need to frequently push data to the client. To push out-of-band events to the client, for example to render charting points, one could do:

# Register Hook
<div id="canvas" phx-hook="Canvas">

# Send down your Data Structure
{:noreply, push_event(socket, "data", %{data: new_data})}

On client:

Hooks.Canvas = {
  mounted(){
    this.handleEvent("data", ({data}) => {
        // Draw Data Structures onto canvas.
    }
  }
}

See: Client Server Communications

P.S. I just assumed you are also using Phoenix Framework & LiveView.

1 Like

Maybe use, live-view and and js hooks.

You can use Phoenix channels or Phoenix LiveView with Surface components. It’s makings LiveView development more convenient