siakaramalegos
I have a Phoenix app with two resources that have a many to many relationship. To simplify, let’s call them posts and tags. When I create a post from scratch, I can associate existing tags with it. I can also edit a post that has no tags to associate tags with it. However, whenever I want to edit which tags are associated with a post, I get this error:
you are attempting to change relation :tags of MyApp.Posts.Post but the `:on_replace` option of
this relation is set to `:raise`
Here is my changeset - I’m using put_assoc which has 4 arguments, but according to the docs, the opts one isn’t used so I can’t set the on_replace option:
def changeset(%__MODULE__{} = user, attrs) do
tag_ids = if attrs["tags"], do: attrs["tags"], else: []
tags = Tags.by_ids(tag_ids)
user
|> Repo.preload(:tags)
|> cast(attrs, [:title, :body])
|> put_assoc(:tags, tags)
|> validate_required([:body])
end
The idea is to only update the association between the two - I would never create or delete tags themselves from the posts form. Should I be updating them in a different way?
(cross-posted on stackoverflow)
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
tspenov
on_replaceoption is set when you definemany_to_manyrelationship.You can set it to
:deleteif that is the desired outcome - that will delete the previous tags that are not passed with current params and insert only the current ones.You can check the behaviour here: Ecto.Changeset — Ecto v3.14.0
siakaramalegos
Thanks! I was thinking the error was stating to pass it as an option to put_assoc instead. I’ll try this. I didn’t make a schema for the join table itself so I imagine I put this on the posts table for the many-to-many line about tags?
tspenov
Yes, exactly