joshua.aug
I have a .tool-versions with this:
erlang 25.2.3
elixir 1.14.3-otp-25
How do I update it and should I?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Awea
Hey, this file is only used by external tool like (like ASDF) to manage your languages versions (here Erlang and Elixir).
You can simply edit the versions or use
asdf local elixir x.y.zarcanemachine
I think if you edit the
.tool-versionsfile manually, you’ll need to runasdf install elixir [new-version]afterward (where[new-version]is the version you changed the file to use).I finally ran into this issue recently, and there wasn’t a lot of material on the subject that I could find:
I guess the good news is more or less that the process is pretty straightforward. Just bump and install the new Erlang + Elixir versions, run the tests, and fix any issues that come up. The compiler should show warnings for any new deprecations.
Don’t forget to bump the dependencies in your
mix.exsfile as well:mix hex.outdatedmix deps.update --allAnd if you ended up adding any dependencies at some point that are no longer needed, then you can remove those as well:
thiagomajesk
It depends on whether you want to change the versions of the tools you are using or not… You can change it manually by editing the file or running something like
asdf local elixir latest. It’s essentially the same, but if you change the files manually, beware of typos since you can introduce a non-existing version that will prevent you from setting up your environment withasdf installlater.Hermanverschooten
And the file
.tool-versionsis also compatible with mise, a more recent tool to manage your tools.code-shoily
I manually update the file and then run asdf install.
mruoss
Using mend renovate!