sezaru

sezaru

I have a library that has some components with hooks, I want to change these hooks to be colocated hooks and then, have them added to the project that is using my library as a dependency when the component is used.

Right now, if I add the components of the library to the project, I see this file being created in the _build/dev/phoenix-colocated/my_lib/index.js with the following content:

const js = {}; export default js;
const imp_nbxw623t = {}; export { imp_nbxw623t as hooks };
import js_k72dc4fbyh2kqibc7es6ao6xbm from "./Flashy.Disconnected/42_hvpvgghw6hzexz2j5q2qoftssi.js"; imp_nbxw623t["Flashy.Disconnected.DisconnectedNotificationHook"] = js_k72dc4fbyh2kqibc7es6ao6xbm;
import js_qugzgtloje34qslj6n4tw3qmsm from "./Flashy.Normal/65_anhgko4nhvydveovsmjledbmdi.js"; imp_nbxw623t["Flashy.Normal.FlashHook"] = js_qugzgtloje34qslj6n4tw3qmsm;

I see the hooks imported here, but the hooks export is empty.

What do I need to do so the hooks are correctly added to my project final bundle?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

steffend

steffend

Phoenix Core Team

This all looks right to me! The hooks export is not empty. Let’s write this over multiple lines:

const js = {};
export default js;
const imp_nbxw623t = {};
export { imp_nbxw623t as hooks };

import js_k72dc4fbyh2kqibc7es6ao6xbm from "./Flashy.Disconnected/42_hvpvgghw6hzexz2j5q2qoftssi.js";
imp_nbxw623t["Flashy.Disconnected.DisconnectedNotificationHook"] = js_k72dc4fbyh2kqibc7es6ao6xbm;

import js_qugzgtloje34qslj6n4tw3qmsm from "./Flashy.Normal/65_anhgko4nhvydveovsmjledbmdi.js"; 
imp_nbxw623t["Flashy.Normal.FlashHook"] = js_qugzgtloje34qslj6n4tw3qmsm;

In the end, the hooks export (imp_nbxw623t) contains Flashy.Disconnected.DisconnectedNotificationHook and Flashy.Normal.FlashHook.

So to add the hooks to your final bundle, just do something like

// your lib's main entrypoint
import { hooks } from "phoenix-colocated/my_lib";

export hooks;

and then guide your user’s to

import { hooks } from "my_lib";

Does that make sense?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Importing hooks shouldn’t be much different to importing any other dependency, besides being stored in a different folder, which means you need to make whatever tooling you use aware of that folder. It kinda also means you now want to use a bundler, but it sounds like you already are.

sezaru

sezaru OP

Ah, ok, that was the missing link, I thought that since the hooks now lived in the component itself, just adding them would automatically bundle their hooks to the main project js file. But I still need to export and expose it from my library and then the user needs to manually import them as you showed, adding that solved the issue, thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews