daveaztig14

daveaztig14

Hi,

I am totally new in phoenix, elixir, and ecto. I have been studying for a week about basics and all, so far I’m quite amazed and confused at the same time. Anyway, my problem is this, I have a curl request which is:

curl https://sample.com/environment
-H ‘Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8’
-d ‘{“ticket”: 1, “ver”: “0.0.1.0_env”, “os”: “android”}’

I want to use the values of the variables “ticket”, “ver” and “os” as an input in my elixir/ecto script which will query in a remote database. (values is changing each request)

I’m sorry for my question if its a little confusing. Please feel free to ask questions so that I can clarify things. And also I want to know it it truly possible.

Any suggestions, help, links and ideas are welcome. I want to eagerly learn this. Thank you.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

How do you plan to use curl from within the elixir app? If it’s

System.cmd("curl", ~w[
  https://sample.com/environment
  -H 'Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8'
  -d '{"ticket": #{ticket}, "ver": "#{version}", "os": "#{os}"}'
])

then you can #{interpolate} your variables like this.

However, I’d suggest looking into http clients in elixir/erlang, like :httpoison to make http requests instead of curl.

HTTPoison.get("https://sample.com/environment?ticket=#{ticket}&ver=#{version}&os=#{os}")
Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

While it is possible to use curl from Elixir directly, it seems like what you actually want to do, is to perform a remote HTTP request and read the results.
Instead of manually using curl, I suggest using a HTTP client library such as HTTPoison, which does much of the request/response parsing and error handling for you.

NobbZ

NobbZ

And now, here I am, understanding it completely different than @idi527 and @Qqwy did…

For me, it seems as if you want to a webserver that actually receives the curl request.

In this case, take a look at phoenix and/or plug.

daveaztig14

daveaztig14 OP

Hi @Qqwy @NobbZ @idiot,

I am so sorry for my late response. Just an update:

Based on the research I’ve made and the ideas and suggestions you’ve given me, I now have a simple elixir app where in it accepts a request like:

curl “http://localhost:8085/pass” -H Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8’ -d ‘{“ticket”: 1, “ver”: “1”, “os”: “1”}’

and the output is:

ticket: 1, ver: 0.0.1.0_develop, os: ios

SQL Query = select * from database where ticket= 1 AND ver= 1 AND os= 1

Thank you for all your help, ideas and suggestions. together with this link https://www.jungledisk.com/blog/2018/03/19/tutorial-a-simple-http-server-in-elixir/.

It really helped me alot.

My next step now is to connect to a database and query the statement using elixir/ecto. However, it is another topic.

Once again. Thank you.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews