Francesco

Francesco

Hello!

How do you go about using dataloader when the parent field returns a map instead of struct. In my case the parent field (block) doesn’t map cleanly to one single table so I have to grab fields from a number of tables and create a map with the fields I need to return. Unfortunately this completely breaks dataloader which relies on the associations in a struct.

  object :block do
    field :author, :user, resolve: dataloader(Scribe.Accounts, :user)
  end

My current fix is to create a custom resolver for the author, i.e. don’t use dataloader (this is obviously not ideal)

  object :block do
    field :author, :user do
      resolve(&ScribeWeb.Resolvers.Accounts.get_user/3)
    end
  end

Does anyone know how to still use dataloader in this situation? Only things I can think of are to using a custom run_batch implementation (don’t understand this nearly well enough to attempt it) or use an embedded schema for the block (this is a wild guess, I’ve never used an embedded schema before).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Not at all! It just changes how you use it. It might be a little bit easier to show you a concrete example though if you show us how your get_user/3 function works.

Francesco

Francesco OP

Interesting! So my implementation is pretty simple, it just looks for the user_id field in the parent and then calls a context function which does a lookup by that ID. If the ID happens to match the current users ID I grab the current user struct out of the Absinthe context (It’s placed there using a Plug) to save the unnecessary query.

  def get_user(%{user_id: id}, _args, %{context: %{current_user: user}}) do
    if user.id == id do
      {:ok, user}
    else
      {:ok, Accounts.get_user(id)}
    end
  end

Excited to hear your suggestion :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews