exfrmdlrstu
I’m getting errors when trying to use {:local, cache_dir} in Bumblebee’s load_model function. Checking the cache directory using cache_dir(), I was able to locate the models that I previously downloaded, but the files inside are hashed. Is there any way I could use the downloaded models so I can call each model on demand and not use too much memory/storage?
Here is an example code that I use to load from the cache if the model is already downloaded:
defp maybe_load_from_cache(whisper_model) do
{_, model} = whisper_model
model_path = String.replace(model, "/", "--")
cache_dir = Path.join(Bumblebee.cache_dir(), "huggingface/#{model_path}")
case File.ls(cache_dir) do
{:ok, _files} ->
{:local, cache_dir}
_ ->
whisper_model
end
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jonatanklosko
Hey @exfrmdlrstu! There are two distinct bits:
The
:localsource allows you to point to a local directory that follows the usual structure of a HuggingFace Hub repository. For example, you couldgit clonea repository such as google-bert/bert-base-uncased and then use{:local, path_to_dir}to load from there.The internal cache, where bumblebee downloads the individual files from a remote repository. This cache is opaque and Bumblebee uses it to only download the given model/tokenizer file once. When you call
Bumblebee.load_model/1second time, it only makes a quick request to the HuggingFace repo to make sure the remote file hasn’t changed, and if it hasn’t, then simply reuses the one downloaded previously. You can actually disable all networking by settingBUMBLEBEE_OFFLINE=1env var, or by loading from{:hf, "org/repo", offline: true}(if the model is not in the cache yet, the function raises).Looking at your snippet specifically, I think what you are trying to do is what
Bumblebee.load_model/1already does by default, as described above. Let me know if I missed something : )exfrmdlrstu
I see, so that’s what Bumblebee’s cache is for. This makes a lot of sense. Looks like I don’t need to worry using
load_modelon demand. Thank you for this, @jonatanklosko !