how to use `mix phx.gen.context` to generate migrations and schema?

Just as you did, but using types that are understood by the generator.

The error message clearly states that the generator doesn’t know about the type smallint and tells you which types it knows about, among them is integer, probably the closest to smallint.

Besides of that, writing some bits of text explaining your actual problem and what you would expect to happen are considered nice things, also copy-pasted code/terminal outputs are much easier to consume on mobiles and/or screenreaders than screenshots are.

1 Like

Besides of that, writing some bits of text explaining your actual problem and what you would expect to happen are considered nice things, also copy-pasted code/terminal outputs are much easier to consume on mobiles and/or screenreaders than screenshots are.

Sorry for that. Worked a day and tired so did that.

Here is my actual question:

when I use

mix phx.gen.context School Course courses --table api_courses cover:string title:string subtitle:string issue:smallint 

It give me this error:

** (Mix) Unknown type `:smallint` given to generator.

As I known, :smallint can use in the migration file, why mix phx.gen.context didn’t know that?

When I type this gen, I expect I will see
field :issue, :integer in the schema file, and see add :issue, :smallinit in the migration file.

Is there some way to get it .

The types from the migration are passed to the database literally, and phoenix/ecto decided to use a common subset. smallint is not part of that as it seems.

You need to revise your migration files manually in such cases.

1 Like

There are various sets of types in ecto:

The generators work with the primitive types (not sure about {:map, type} and {:array, type} though). In the migration you can use any column type your database supports, while when using the primitive types of ecto it does simply use a sensible default. The other way around there’s no knowledge in ecto. It does not know a :smallint should be made a :integer in the schema and you need the primitive type to generate the schema.

1 Like

OK, thanks, I will revise my migration files manually.

1 Like