linusdm

linusdm

I’m trying to parse a file with nimble_parsec but I got stuck quite early. The input is a file with many lines, and the content is divided with separators. A simplified example:

some text, may also contain character "=", which is part of the separator
can be any number of lines long until the first separator line
==========
next block of text
==========
and another one
==========

I can’t come up with a good combination of building blocks to get to the output:

["some text, may also contain some character \"=\", which is...", "next block of text", "and another one"]

I’m trying this:

defmodule MyParser do
  import NimbleParsec

  separator = string("==========")
  block = utf8_string([], min: 1) |> lookahead(separator)

  defparsec(:parse, block |> times(min: 1))
end

But this yields an error:

{:error, "expected string \"==========\"", "", %{}, {8, 210}, 210}

I think the key part of my problem is that the utf8_string parser is eagerly matching beyond the first separator. Fiddling with the accepted codepoints and excluding = does help when the text blocks do not contain the =, but that’s not how I want to use it (the text should be able to contain =, only a newline with a succession of = characters should break the text up).
I’m probably using lookahead wrong here, but I’m out of ideas :person_shrugging:

Showing Posts 1 to 3

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

First thing to note is that your separator is really \n=======\n - that is it is inclusive of the newlines. My instinct would be to reach for String.split/2, for example:

iex(1)> String.split("""
...(1)> some text, may also contain character "=", which is part of the separator
...(1)> can be any number of lines long until the first separator line
...(1)> ==========
...(1)> next block of text
...(1)> ==========
...(1)> and another one
...(1)> ==========
...(1)> """, ~r/\n=*\n/)
["some text, may also contain character \"=\", which is part of the separator\ncan be any number of lines long until the first separator line",
 "next block of text", "and another one", ""]

If you’re doing this as an exercise in NimbleParsec here’s a few thoughts:

  • the separator includes the surrounding newlines so its actually "\n==========\n"
  • logically a block is made up of one or more lines
  • a line is a sequence of characters bounded by a newline

Using these ideas we can build a parser which I think does what you want. I suspect this is slower that then String.split/2 version above.

  separator =
    string("\n==========\n")

  line =
    repeat(utf8_char([{:not, ?\n}]))

  block =
    line
    |> repeat(lookahead_not(separator) |> ascii_char([?\n]) |> concat(line))
    |> reduce({List, :to_string, []})

  defparsec(:parse, repeat(block |> ignore(separator)))
kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I’ve added a gist for future reference with some comments (and also handling the case where the last block is not followed by a separator).

linusdm

linusdm OP

Thanks for taking the time Kip!

Yes, I should’ve noted that this is a challenge I’ve taken upon myself. It’s the first step for parsing a larger file (mostly line-based, an artifact of an old Progess/open-edge program I’m trying to replace), where each block is parsed into it’s smaller parts. Since the file is mostly line-based, splitting and other String utils are also very suited, but I’d still like to try the other approach, and compare (and learn).

I would not have guessed how to stitch those combinators together… especially the reducer step. But it makes sense. I’ll have to sleep over this, to really get it. Also, with the last block, you were one step ahead of me…

I’m still not sure where parser-combinators really shine, but I’m finding it very interesting!

Thanks again! I’ll update when I have new updates/challenges.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews