kostonstyle
Hi all
I want to use poolboy and do not know how to use it.
What I did, just put poolboy into the dependencies
defp deps do
[{:poolboy, "~> 1.5"}]
end
Could please someone help me, how to use poolboy?
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
What issues were you having when following the example application on the link you supplied? Is it just the Erlang->Elixir conversion you are having issues with? Or are you getting errors?
Also what are you trying to accomplish, do you need to use poolboy, or are you wanting a set of streaming workers, or do you need a single process, etc..?
kostonstyle
I need to create workers based on generic server. For example I need 10 workers to validate incoming requests body.
Thanks
OvermindDL1
Why do you need 10 workers? What are they being bound to that causes this number, is it an external server? Who will be accessing them and in what way and how often? What errors were you getting when you tried to implement poolboy?
Basically I’m just trying to drill through questions to get the answer to The XY Problem.
sheharyarn
I’ve also been interested in Poolboy (just for educational purposes) since I’ve seen that a lot of apps use it. The thing is I don’t really know what its use-cases are, which problems does it solve and when you’re not supposed to use it.
The examples on its Github page are in Erlang (so I didn’t understand them at all) and I didn’t really find any Poolboy tutorials in Elixir. I think a basic overview of Poolboy with a few examples in Elixir would go a long way in helping Elixir noobs like myself understand it better.
(Except this: Managing processes with Poolboy in Elixir)
OvermindDL1
Only times I would use it is for managing a fixed or bounded set of things, such as connections to another server, say a PostgreSQL server, and you want to throttle all access to that server through those limited connections. It is very specialized, but very very useful for what it is for. That is why I was asking the OP what his use-case was as there are often (though not always) better ways to accomplish it.
Gazler
This repository has some good examples GitHub - thestonefox/elixir_poolboy_example: An example and brief explanation on how to use Poolboy to manage and pool workers in Elixir · GitHub
jur0
I use it in an application where I have a pool of erlang processes that manage python processes. Each erlang process in the pool (
poolboy_worker) is agen_server. When started, the erlang process starts a python process (using erlport). If a pool worker crashes (an error can be either in erlang or python code), poolboy restarts it automatically. This way, I can execute python code concurrently and also take advantage of “let it crash” philosophy for python processes.