end

And then you can query it like:

from city in "cities",
  where: city.altitude > 500,
  select: %{
    name: city.name,
    altitude: city.altitude
  }

Second query thought is not possible with Ecto.Query right now (AFAIK) and you need to use raw SQL, ex.:

{:ok, result} =
  Repo.query("""
  SELECT name, altitude
      FROM ONLY cities
      WHERE altitude > ?
  """, [500])

Enum.map(result.rows, fn [name, altitude] -> %{name: name, altitude: altitude} end)
2 Likes

Thanks!

Yeah as it stands Ecto is not capable of handling PostgreSQL inheritance tables, you have to fall back to raw SQL, thus losing the typing and testing abilities of Ecto. A PR might be welcome though? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think its still not supported in ecto. I would love to submit a PR for it. if you have specific instructions or steps in mind, please do share. Thanks

1 Like

It would be better to see if there is a way to make an addon library for it instead, Ecto is mostly in ‘keep-it-updated’ mode rather than accepting specific DB server features.

3 Likes

But I am not sure, what should be the best way to create some add on. eg I dont know if ecto provides some hooks to change query just before sending to db(I am not sure, if this is even recommened). some steps/guidelines(maybe someone from core team eg @josevalim @ericmj @michalmuskala ) will be really helpful as I dont find any clue yet(prepare_query or other callbacks dont seem to be the correct ones). Thanks

1 Like

I think there’d be some way to do it, but if there isn’t then making the appropriate hooks with their inputs on the design would be very likely to be accepted I would bet. :slight_smile: