acrolink

acrolink

I have this SQL query:

SELECT DISTINCT ON (b.id) b.id as book_id, r.id as record_id, r.due_for_return, r.returned_at
FROM books b
left join records r
on b.id = r.book_id
order by b.id, r.id DESC

Any idea how to convert it to an Ecto Query, especially the DISTINCT ON part ? Thank you.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

acrolink

acrolink OP

Maybe part of the solution:

books = (from books in Mango.Books.Book,
         left_join: records in assoc(books, :records),
         distinct: books.id,
         where: books.institute_id == ^claims["institute_id"] and is_nil(records.returned_at) != ^returned?,
         select: %{
           "record_id" => records.id,
           "title" => books.title,
           "book_id" => books.id,
           "due_for_return" => records.due_for_return,
           "returned_at" => records.returned_at},
           order_by: [books.id, desc: records.id]
)

Any comments are still welcome :slight_smile:

acrolink

acrolink OP

I have just noticed that the above query does not return the expected results. I was to select from records the row with the highest id (newest in database) only for each book_id. Seems that using DISTINCT does not answer this need.

acrolink

acrolink OP

I guess for what I am trying to do I need to run a query with a sub query: first select max id with needed fields (grouped by book_id) from b and after that join a with b.

joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro

Have you tried composing queries step by step:

acrolink

acrolink OP

Some issues were related to the fact that in Postgres, when using DISTINCT ON, that column must appear first in the ORDER BY. Anyway, the working SQL for what I need is this:

SELECT b.*, r.id, r.returned_at FROM books b
LEFT JOIN (
    SELECT DISTINCT ON (book_id) book_id as book_id, id, returned_at
    FROM records
    order by book_id DESC
) r
ON b.id = r.book_id
ORDER BY b.title ASC

How to write this in Ecto, God knows and the brilliant folks here :).

peerreynders

peerreynders

How to use PostgreSQL’s DISTINCT ON in Ecto Query

    create table(:books) do
      add :title, :string
    end
    create table(:records) do
      add :book_id, :id
      add :due_for_return, :date
    end
# lib/books.ex
defmodule Books do
  import Ecto.Query;
  alias Books.{Repo}

  def init do
    Repo.insert_all(
      "books", [
        [title: "One"],
        [title: "Two"],
        [title: "Three"],
        [title: "Four"]
      ]
    )
    Repo.insert_all(
      "records", [
        [book_id: 1, due_for_return: ~D[2017-11-01]],
        [book_id: 1, due_for_return: ~D[2017-12-01]],
        [book_id: 1, due_for_return: ~D[2018-01-01]],
        [book_id: 2, due_for_return: ~D[2018-01-02]],
        [book_id: 2, due_for_return: ~D[2018-02-02]],
        [book_id: 3, due_for_return: ~D[2018-03-03]],
      ]
    )
  end

  def query() do
    "books"
    |> join(:left, [b], r in "records", b.id == r.book_id)
    |> select([b,r], %{
         title: b.title,
         book_id: b.id,
         record_id: max(r.id)
       })
    |> group_by([b], [b.title, b.id])
    |> subquery()
    |> join(:left, [d,r],
         r in "records", d.book_id == r.book_id and d.record_id == r.id
       )
    |> select([d,r], %{
         book_id: d.book_id,
         title: d.title,
         due: r.due_for_return
       })
    |> Repo.all()
  end
end
iex(1)> Books.init()

07:15:35.715 [debug] QUERY OK db=7.9ms
INSERT INTO "books" ("title") VALUES ($1),($2),($3),($4) ["One", "Two", "Three", "Four"]
 
07:15:35.720 [debug] QUERY OK db=1.3ms
INSERT INTO "records" ("book_id","due_for_return") VALUES ($1,$2),($3,$4),($5,$6),($7,$8),($9,$10),($11,$12) [1, {2017, 11, 1}, 1, {2017, 12, 1}, 1, {2018, 1, 1}, 2, {2018, 1, 2}, 2, {2018, 2, 2}, 3, {2018, 3, 3}]
{6, nil}
iex(2)> Books.query()

07:15:43.693 [debug] QUERY OK db=3.1ms
SELECT s0."book_id", s0."title", r1."due_for_return" FROM (SELECT b0."title" AS "title", b0."id" AS "book_id", max(r1."id") AS "record_id" FROM "books" AS b0 LEFT OUTER JOIN "records" AS r1 ON b0."id" = r1."book_id" GROUP BY b0."title", b0."id") AS s0 LEFT OUTER JOIN "records" AS r1 ON (s0."book_id" = r1."book_id") AND (s0."record_id" = r1."id") []
[
  %{book_id: 1, due: {2018, 1, 1}, title: "One"},
  %{book_id: 2, due: {2018, 2, 2}, title: "Two"},
  %{book_id: 3, due: {2018, 3, 3}, title: "Three"},
  %{book_id: 4, due: nil, title: "Four"}
]
iex(3)> 

PostgreSQL GROUP BY

acrolink

acrolink OP

@peerreynders, Words cannot express how grateful I am to you. Despite that I did not express clearly what I was trying to achieve, you have grasped it and provided the needed solution. In the meantime, I had written a working code, like this:

records_max_id_query = # started with the records table first..
  from(
    records in Mango.Records.Record,
    select: %{
      :max_id => max(records.id)
    },
    group_by: [records.book_id]
  )

records_query =
  from(
    records_data in Mango.Records.Record,
    join: records in subquery(records_max_id_query),
    on: records_data.id == records.max_id,
    select: %{
      :record_id => records_data.id,
      :book_id => records_data.book_id,
      :returned_at => records_data.returned_at
    }
  )

books_query =
  from(
    books in Mango.Books.Book,
    left_join: records in subquery(records_query),
    on: records.book_id == books.id,
    select: %{
      :record_id => records.record_id,
      :book_id => books.id,
      :title => books.title,
      :returned_at => records.returned_at
    },
    where: books.institute_id == ^claims["institute_id"],
    order_by: [asc: books.title]
  )

But your code looks nicer and possibly faster than the above.

I have learned much about SQL and Ecto with this, yet at the same time I come to question the design of my tables. Would the above approach work fast when there are say 100,000 records in the database? Would it not be better to have a [unique_constraint: (book_id, status:1) field in the records table indicating the active (or most recent row per book_id) and not to look for it by max(id).

peerreynders

peerreynders

Is it slow now?

I don’t know anything about PostgreSQL’s performance characteristics. And ultimately you would have to benchmark the query on your configuration.

There may be cases where an active column can be the best solution but there is the trade off of the required additional update the needs to happen within the same transaction as the insert (both of which affect the index).

Another alternative is to formulate the query around due_for_return and put an index on that but I don’t think it’s going to perform any better than using the primary key index.

acrolink

acrolink OP

No, it is not slow. It would be interesting to do some benchmarks when the data gets bigger and vs. having an active field in records. I have generated some dummy ~5000 books and ~60,000 records, results: 68ms to count them and 134ms to return a set of 20 records with limit and offset.

peerreynders

peerreynders

You could also move the query into a view. That way the Ecto select is extremely simple and you can change the query inside the database if needed later.

PostgreSQL Views

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

HR_Sportograf
Backend Developer for Elixir (F/M/D) - Shape the Future of Sports Photography with Us!(German Version below) About us We are athletes –...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews