sangeethailango

sangeethailango

Hey fellow learners,

I have a field called estimated_hours in one of my Ash resource called tasks. I want the datatype of this field to be Postgres interval. I want to calculate how many hours does user wants to complete a task and i will also calculate the sum of these estimated hours.

I found the documentation below from Hex Docs:

I have also searched for Postgres interval datatype and went through the below tutorial.

However, I couldn’t figure out how to apply it in my Ash resource.

Please help me to find out how I can do it.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Hello!

So in Ash, the primary drive for this would be a custom type. Something like:

defmodule MyApp.Interval do
  use Ash.Type

  def storage_type(_), do: :interval # you'll have to experiment with what the appropriate storage_type is here

  # define cast_input, cast_stored, dump_to_native
end

I haven’t wrapped a built in Postgrex type in quite some time, but take a look at the docs for Ash.Type for info on defining a custom type, that may be enough to get it over the line :+1:

sangeethailango

sangeethailango OP

Thank you for replying. I will try to add custom type.

adrian

adrian

Hello @sangeethailango, did you create the custom type? I am trying to achieve the same as you.

Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews