amnu3387

amnu3387

Hi,

so when I Map.put even if I use the string quotation marks on the key Elixir will render the map with atoms. This is further problematic when I save data into the db as JSON, because when retrieving this data, it is all as string keys and no atoms.

Amap
|> Map.put("player_#{number}", %{
      roll: false,
      id: player.id,
      stops_self: %{
        "aether_charge": true
     }})

The real use case is that, when I first create this map, it’s through an individual process, that ultimately, saves it to the db, so if the process gets killed or crashes, when being served again, the db version will be fetched.
Is there any way I can enforce a map to use string keys from the get go? So as to always have to deal with a single type of keys. I’m aware I could write a module that returns either atom or string keys but is there any easy way to be explicit about what type I want my key to be?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 8

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

I think you mistakenly posted the instructions on how to post questions @amnu3387

amnu3387

amnu3387 OP

@hubertlepicki indeed - still sleeping ahah I edited it

NobbZ

NobbZ

You are not using a string, but quoted atom. Those are meant to be used, when you have symbols which usually can’t be in a simple atom literal: :"$end_of_table". If you want to use a string as key in a map do it like this: %{"key" => 1}.

amnu3387

amnu3387 OP

Ah - indeed - thank you

kelvinst

kelvinst

@amnu3387 I’ve renamed the topic. What do you think? Is it clearer now?

amnu3387

amnu3387 OP

@kelvinst if I have to be sincere I don’t remember what was the title, but this seems like pretty much to the point :stuck_out_tongue:

kelvinst

kelvinst

@amnu3387, me neither, hahaha! It was something like “Enforce key “types” on Maps”

amnu3387

amnu3387 OP

LOL then this is much better definitively ^^

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews