smon

smon

Let’s me start out with a new project based on generators:

Using mix phx.gen.live gives me form_component.ex, index.ex and show.ex for my schema. The latter two use the form_component.ex as a modal:

<.modal :if={@live_action in [:new, :edit]} id="project-modal" show on_cancel={JS.patch(~p"/projects")}>
  <.live_component
    module={DemoWeb.User.FormComponent}
    id={@user.id || :new}
    title={@page_title}
    action={@live_action}
    project={@user}
    patch={~p"/userss"}
  />
</.modal>

or

<.modal :if={@live_action == :edit} id="project-modal" show on_cancel={JS.patch(~p"/projects/#{@project}")}>
  <.live_component
    module={DemoWeb.ProjectLive.FormComponent}
    id={@project.id}
    title={@page_title}
    action={@live_action}
    project={@project}
    patch={~p"/projects/#{@project}"}
  />
</.modal>

Now I am having a look at mix phx.gen.auth and was wondering how I could restrict only the modal usage (both :new and :edit) to registered users.

Ideas so far:

  • Create a standalone live view form.ex and replace form_component.ex. But then I can not use it inside a modal (?). This way I could set authorization in my router.ex.
  • Add a check in the relevant apply_action/3 in index.ex and use the same pattern in show.ex?
  • Add checks to both existing live views: .modal :if={@live_action in [:new, :edit] and @current_user} in the heex?
  • Pass the :current_user to the live component and let the live component handle the check?

I would prefer to handle this in the router.ex, just because then all restriction related logic would be defined at one point.

Any other ideas?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

The modals in the default boilerplate have separate routes. Add authorization to those.

smon

smon OP

How would you do that from the router?

The generated authentication logic seems only to check “on_mount” for live views and the initial “dead view” requests. If a guest user is on the :index route (i.e. successfully mounts the view) and then switches to the edit route which is supposed to be restricted, they still use the same live view process, there is no mount call anymore and there is no second evaluation happening.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You could switch the patch to be a proper redirect. More expensive on resoure loading, but giving you another mount.

smon

smon OP

Ah, right - the patching in my links was what confused me.

Instead of switching all patches to redirect I would simply render those links only if current_user is set? I am still struggling to evaluate where I might run into security issues with the LiveView Javascript magic.

codeanpeace

codeanpeace

Definitely ensure that the handle_event callback for the form submission/save event checks for authorization – in your case, that the user is registered.

Every time the user performs an action on your system, you should verify if the user is authorized to do so, regardless if you are using LiveViews or not. For example, imagine a user can see all projects in a web application, but they may not have permission to delete any of them. At the UI level, you handle this accordingly by not showing the delete button in the projects listing, but a savvy user can directly talk to the server and request a deletion anyway. For this reason, you must always verify permissions on the server.

In LiveView, most actions are handled by the handle_event callback. Therefore, you typically authorize the user within those callbacks. In the scenario just described, one might implement this:
…

Events Consideration | LiveView Security considerations

krasenyp

krasenyp

I’d hide all the actions which the current user can’t perform.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews