_russellb
I need to build a crm-like dashboard to present customer data to the logged in user.
Would you implement the dashboard as property of the customer using something like
schema "customers" do
has_one(:dashboard, Dashboard )
end
Or would you just have a Dashboard controller (not a table) and only make it available on certain routes?
For example let’s say the logged in user is viewing the customer show page. I could then get customer from the params and look
them up in the database then present the customer data on the dashboard.
Both ways would work but which is less error prone? Or is there another way to do this that I’m not seeing?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sobojack
Hi, @_russellb, I think it would be considered best practices to go the controller route. Phoenix promotes MVC( Model, View, Controller ) principles designed just for this. If I were you I would create a controller for your dashboard, along with that I would create a dashboard template in yourAppWeb/templates/dashboard/index.html.eex and a dashboard view in yourAppWeb/views/ dashboard_view.ex. You can call functions to load your data in your controller and pass that data to your template, in your template you can render the data in your CRM like fashion. You can use your view file to call functions for any logic needed in your template.
Inside your router you can create a route for this page, you can also restrict the route to only allowing certain usesr to view it.
_russellb
Thanks, that’s the way I’ve been writing this feature. I just wanted some extra opinions on how to do it.