GordianGo

GordianGo

Hi,
my csv file that i want to read is from DE-region (Germany). There they use comma as decimal separator for floating point numbers. eg 4,58

Unfortunately I cannot identitfy a parameter in the documentation to specify another decimal separator for these functions:

Because of the decimal separator (in my case “,” instead of “.”) it will throw an error if defining the datatype of the columns in the csv file on reading with CSV.decode (..) or Dataframe.load_csv(..)

Example:
df = DF.load_csv!(content, dtypes: [{“myFloatCol”,:f64}])

→ throws the expected error:
RuntimeError{message: "Polars Error: could not parse \"4,58\" as dtype f64 at column ‘myFloatCol’ (column number 4)

What would be a good practice?"

Thanks for your advice
Gordian

Showing Posts 1 to 7

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

You could use field_transform to accomplish most of this, by passing String.replace:

String.replace("-123,45", ~r/^(-?)(\d+),(\d+)$/, "\\1\\2.\\3")

(adjust further if you’re expecting scientific notation too)

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Can you give an example of a few CSV rows? F.ex. do they look like this?

ABC,123,4,58,DEF

And you expect ["ABC", "123", "4.58", "DEF"] but get ["ABC", "123", "4", "58", "DEF"] instead? Is that the problem? Sounds like you basically have an invalid CSV when we get down to it. Don’t think that even field_transform can help you in this case.

You can use the xsv tool to extract the “defective” columns and reformat the numbers to be dot-separated and then you can re-merge (or replace) the data back – I’ve done something very similar in the past, successfully. From then on you can just use any normal CSV parser.

GordianGo

GordianGo OP

Thank you for the notice about xsv tool.
It looks like, it can only be used on CLI. ( is it true?! )

But i am searching a solution, which can be integrated in an elixir-livebook-app.
(useCASE: a user should upload an csv-file and then data analyse is starting. But the input file has a comma as decimal separator. therefore i am looking for a possibility to replace the comma with an period.)

I found NimbleCSV — NimbleCSV v1.3.0
maybe it could help.


For clarification my question an example.

start.csv

col1,col2
"0,0","0,00"
"28,6","4,43"

Notice:

  • the decimal separator in the example above is an comma (eg.: “0,0”)
  • but i need as decimal separator a period (eg.: “0.0”)

goal.csv

col1,col2
"0.0","0.00"
"28.6","4.43"

Reading the csv file:

require Explorer.DataFrame, as: DF
df = DF.load_csv!(csv, dtypes: [{"col1",:f64}])

Problem to solve:

When i use the option “dtypes” to convert the “0,0” from start.csv i get an error because of the decimal separator:

"Polars Error: could not parse `\"0,00\"` as dtype `f64` 

Does DataFrame.load:csv/2 has the ability to replace the decimal separator on the fly?!

If not what kind of “preprocessing” would you recommend?

THX

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Oh, but your CSV is actually valid I see. Your problem is with Explorer.DataFrame. I have not worked with that. Maybe the mutate/1 function can help you transform the values before they are being parsed? No idea though.

In this case – because your CSV is actually valid and not malformed like I assumed – you can just follow @al2o3cr’s advice to parse and then transform the values, and then you can feed the resulting CSV to Explorer.DataFrame. Something like this should work:

content = File.read!(your_path_to_csv) # or a `Plug.Upload` stream?

content
|> CSV.decode!(field_transform: fn x -> String.replace(x, ~r/^(-?)(\d+),(\d+)$/, "\\1\\2.\\3") end)
|> DataFrame.load_something!(dtypes: [{“myFloatCol”,:f64}])

I don’t know if you can load parsed CSV into Explorer.DataFrame, you likely could. But if you really can’t then you can just re-encode the data and feed them to load_csv!.

GordianGo

GordianGo OP

Thank you both for your advice and your time!
I will try…

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Try it and let us know how it goes. It’s not a difficult problem, you should drop the insecurity. You can do it! :smiley:

billylanchantin

billylanchantin

I did some digging. Polars actually has a relevant option to polars.read_csv() called decimal_comma that Explorer does not expose:

decimal_comma
Parse floats using a comma as the decimal separator instead of a period.

We could certainly expose it. However even if it were exposed, you can’t use it for your example because your CSV also has a , as the separator:

polars.exceptions.InvalidOperationError: 'decimal_comma' argument cannot be combined with ',' separator

So it seems Polars, and therefore Explorer, requires a certain subset of CSV to parse directly into a float like you’re hoping to do.

However @dimitarvp is right to call out mutate. General rule with Explorer: it’s usually fastest to get Rust to do the work if you can. So I suggest the following:

require Explorer.DataFrame, as: DataFrame

csv_path
|> DataFrame.from_csv!()
|> DataFrame.mutate(for col <- across() do
  {col.name, col |> replace(",", ".") |> cast(:f64)}
end)

With this approach, you load what happens to be in the CSV into Rust, then let Rust do the string manipulation.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews