nikody

nikody

I guess this is not a strictly Phoenix question so I’ll not tag it as such. I am wondering about the following - as HTTPoison uses hackney, can I set it up so it uses one socket for multiple concurrent requests (for that matter, requests to one host)?

The HTTPoison documentation says:

Normally hackney opens and closes connections on demand,
but it also creates a default pool of connections which are reused for requests to the same host.
If the connection and host support keepalive, the connection is kept open until explicitly closed.

To use the default pool, you can just declare it as an option:

HTTPoison.get("httpbin.org/get", [], hackney: [pool: :default])

I tried using a custom pool with a large number of max_connections. However, I believe in this case hackney opens a new socket for each connection. Actually, I’m not sure if it is exactly for each connection but it certainly opens a lot of new sockets if I bump up the number of the max_connections for the pool I use. This looks like it should behave in this way, though.

Still, the hackney readme says that connections can be reused, which I take to also mean in essence that sockets can be reused:

By default all connections are created and closed dynamically by hackney
but sometimes you may want to reuse the same reference for your connections.
It’s especially useful if you just want to handle serially a couple of requests.

This discussion mentions that connections are reused for subsequent requests - HTTPoison connection pools - #3 by jola. But I was wondering if they can be reused for concurrent requests.

Edit: Added one more paragraph.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews