cedric5
Hello I am a beginner in Elixir and I’m currently running into the following issue.
When trying to make a post request to a server using httpoison.
def send(xml_message) do
url = "https://******/LIMessageProcessing/http/UICCCMessageProcessing/UICCCMessageProcessingInboundWS"
response = HTTPoison.post(url ,[], hackney: [:insecure])
req = Poison.decode!(response.body)
end
I recieve the following error:
[info] ['TLS', 32, 'client', 58, 32, 73, 110, 32, 115, 116, 97, 116, 101, 32, 'certify', 32, 'at ssl_handshake.erl:364 generated CLIENT ALERT: Fatal - Internal Error - {unexpected_error,{case_clause,{error,{asn1,{...}}}}}', 10]
[info] Sent 500 in 126ms
[error] #PID<0.924.0> running TaftapServiceWeb.Endpoint (connection #PID<0.923.0>, stream id 1) terminated
Server: localhost:4000 (http)
Request: POST /
** (exit) an exception was raised:
** (ArgumentError) argument error
:erlang.apply({:error, %HTTPoison.Error{id: nil, reason: {:tls_alert, 'internal error'}}}, :body, [])
No matter what options I pass to the post method it will always return this error.
If posting to another url (e.g https://google.com/)
I get the following error:
(exit) an exception was raised:
** (ArgumentError) argument error
:erlang.apply({:error, %HTTPoison.Error{id: nil, reason: :nxdomain}}, :body, [])
Using HTTPoison.get on https://google.com/ works but using get on the domain I want to post to yields the same {:tls_alert, ‘internal error’}}}.
I am sure that the server I am trying to post to functions as it should be as I have been able to make succesful requests from SAOP UI and Ruby.
Elixir version: 1.8.1
Erlang version: 21.2.6
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ananthakumaran
In my current work, we have some concept similar to webhook and we need to support servers which might not follow the latest standard. Every time we try to upgrade erlang OTP, we will find some new errors which used to work in the old version. So we do the config change dance once again and settle on a config that works best across all the servers. Last time it was related to chacha20 cipher, which was enabled by default and there seem to be multiple incompatible implementations out there. Debugging these kind of errors are real tricky as the
sslapp mostly throws a generic error without much details.This usually means something goes wrong when it tries to establish ssl connection. You could use SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs) to figure out what kind of versions are supported by your target server. Then you can play around with
ssl:connect/3Once you find the correct set of options that allows you to connect, you
could pass that to hackney
voltone
This is a decoding error during the TLS handshake. The specific location (ssl_handshake.erl:364) suggests a certificate sent by the server cannot be parsed. Does
openssl s_client -connect ******:443 -servername ******connect without errors?This suggests the hostname could not be resolved. I suspect you simply had a typo in the URL at the time, or there was a problem with your Internet connection.
cedric5
Duo to time constraints we have decided to write the application on short term in Ruby. But I will investigate and try to find a solution to this problem in de future as we our goal is to switch completely to Elixir.
Thanks for your advice.
CafeRacer
Thanks for sharing the useful, trouble shooting methods. above @cedric5
With me reason “:nxdomain” of HTTPoison, was due to my internet being offline.
iamkanishka
I have good internet connection, Im facing this issue, any solution for this
al2o3cr
Generally this isn’t an Elixir problem -
NXDOMAINmeans that the name isn’t being resolved by the operating system.Are you running in a container etc with limited network access?
If you have the
digprogram, try runningdig www.google.com. On my machine, it returns:I’d guess that on the machine where you’re running
iex, there won’t be anANSWER SECTION.