auryn

auryn

Hey

Somehow I have a Problem. If I send a HTTPoison GET request against a webpage using the AEAD-CHACHA20-POLY1305-SHA256 encryption I get an timeout.

Somehow not even an handshake issue.

The code i tried

    defaults = :ssl.cipher_suites(:default, :"tlsv1.2")

    rsa_kx =
      :ssl.cipher_suites(:all, :"tlsv1.2")
      |> :ssl.filter_cipher_suites(
        key_exchange: &(&1 == :rsa),
        cipher: &(&1 in [:aes_128_cbc, :aes_128_gcm, :aes_256_cbc, :aes_256_gcm])
      )

    options = [
      ssl: [ciphers: defaults ++ rsa_kx],
      timeout: 5_000,
      recv_timeout: 5_000,
      log_level: :debug
    ]


      res = HTTPoison.get("url", headers, options)
      IO.inspect(res)
    defaults = :ssl.cipher_suites(:default, :"tlsv1.2") # (tried also with 1.3)

    rsa_kx =
      :ssl.cipher_suites(:all, :"tlsv1.2") # (tried also with 1.3)

    options = [
      ssl: [ciphers: defaults ++ rsa_kx],
      timeout: 5_000,
      recv_timeout: 5_000,
      log_level: :debug
    ]


      res = HTTPoison.get("url", headers, options)
      IO.inspect(res)

and also tried the plain request without any changes. All dont work

somehow if i curl the url, all went fine, also if i use the fetch of nodejs.

now I am super stuck and have no clue how to continue. It could be the encryption or something else, but everything else i tried didnt change anything.
The headers are exactly the same
The httpoison resonse is:

{:error, %HTTPoison.Error{reason: :timeout, id: nil}}

Anything i could try or i miss? shouldnt the encryption already work?


Edit:
with the tlsv1.3 at least it seems like the encryption should be included

if i add :hackney_trace.enable(:max, :io) i see

#{mac => aead,key_exchange => dhe_rsa,
                                  cipher => chacha20_poly1305,prf => sha256},

in the list of {ciphers,
but still timeout :confused:

Showing Posts 2 to 1

auryn

auryn OP

Ok, now I am super confused.

I exchanged HTTPoison with Req (Req — req v0.6.2) and it just responds fine.

Unfortunately I cannot share the url I am testing it against. But this feels off. I set the same headers.
Is there anything I am doing wrong?


Update, wrote a script to test it:

#!/usr/bin/env elixir

Mix.install([:req, :httpoison])

headers = [
  {"User-Agent",
   "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) Chrome/121.0.0.0 Safari/537.36"}
]

url = "https://the url"

# works just fine
Req.get!(url, [{:headers, headers}])
|> IO.inspect()

# timeout
HTTPoison.get!(url, headers, [])
|> IO.inspect()

auryn

auryn OP

seems not to be the encryption. Found another page with the same encryption, that just works fine :smiley:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews